Is it worth it?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
HB2k

Is it worth it?

Post by HB2k »

I am on a budget but am upgrading my audio system. i don't want to spend alot but i want a decent system. Right now i have a 10" pioneer sub in my trunk and i am actually very suprised how much it pounds! anyways. i recently upgraded my front speakers to these 6 1/2" pioneers.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/pna/pr ... 28,00.html

They sound pretty good coming straight from my deck. Its a pretty good deck but not a very big brand. its called KOSS. the deck puts out 50w a channel. so that is my system right now. My brother gave me an old pioneer amp that i know very little about. it is 2 channel and says it is 35w RMS each channel. my question is would it be worth amping my front speakers? (eventaully rear too) I would install the amp under the passenger seat. If you do think it will make a difference what would the difference be? like more bass from the 6.5's or better sound over all?

-HB
I got myself a 93' mazda precidia GS. mostly stock but i looking to change that.
ariesdude

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by ariesdude »

HB2k wrote: the deck puts out 50w a channel.
HB2k wrote: it is 2 channel and says it is 35w RMS each channel.
If the deck output (50w) is the RMS value - then there is no sense in "amplifying" 50w into 35w.
If 50w is the peak value and the nominal value is somewhere in the 10's then it would make (slight) sense to have an amp. But before you connect it you have to make sure that amp's peak output is less than or equal to the speakers max power or you might have to listen to in low volume/bass only.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by mr1in6billion »

ariesdude wrote:
HB2k wrote: the deck puts out 50w a channel.
HB2k wrote: it is 2 channel and says it is 35w RMS each channel.
If the deck output (50w) is the RMS value - then there is no sense in "amplifying" 50w into 35w.
If 50w is the peak value and the nominal value is somewhere in the 10's then it would make (slight) sense to have an amp. But before you connect it you have to make sure that amp's peak output is less than or equal to the speakers max power or you might have to listen to in low volume/bass only.
There is no way a deck is going to crank 50w rms. Companies always try and make their s--- seem better, so they are going to put the max value on there.

The speakers and the amp are both 35w rms, so they are well matched. Considering the amp is free you might as well use it. The added power makes for better quality music.
HB2k

Post by HB2k »

ok guys thnx i will hook it up. and ya i dont think the deck is 50 watts rms. mabye 10 rmd. if that.
I got myself a 93' mazda precidia GS. mostly stock but i looking to change that.
BSinnest

Post by BSinnest »

the only way you will actually get the peak rms out of an amp would be if a lightening bolt hit it.. but that would only last for a second and you might not notice.. and if you do notice a difference in power with a lightening bolt, you may wanna think about getting the fire extinguisher
alleycat29

hahah

Post by alleycat29 »

lol you could by the lightning bolt amp... its got 100000 watts lol

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”