How many people have had this happen?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Franko
Supporting Member

How many people have had this happen?

Post by Franko »

This only applies to the boosted people.

Youre driving along boosting as usual. Then suddenly BOOM.. it sounds like a gunshot going off.. The car shuts off.. You dont know if youve thrown a rod or what the hell has happened. You get out and pop the hood not knowing what to expect and to your suprise you find that youve blown the clamps clean off your intercooler piping and a hose has come off.
Ive had it happen to me three or four times. When it used to happen with the stock bpt setup the car would shut off because of the airflow meter.. It happened to me once this year with the haltech and its awesome because the car kept running and I could actually drive somewhere to fix it. Ahh... Map sensors.. God bless em. I always pop that piece that goes onto the throttle body off. Everything else is the super high end silocone couplers.. id have to run like 50 psi to break those Im sure.

Ive heard of people having them let go and taking half the bumper with it.

Anyone else have any hose popping experiences?
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
MX3ze@7psi

Post by MX3ze@7psi »

I have many times cause I'm just using plumbing couplers and cheap clamps.
MX3 KL-DE, probe/mx6 ebay turbo pipes, T3/T4 50 trim @ 8psi, millenia injectors, SAFC2, intercooled,Greddy RS BOV, turbonetic 38mm external wastegate. Wisco 9.5 forged piston, millenia S rods, and high performance rings coiming in soon. Shooting for 400whp this summer.
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

Used to happen to me at least once a month until I bought new clamps and re-tightened every single IC piping connection firmly, so far that seems to have worked. 8)
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

T CLAMPS AWAY!!! has nto happened to me..i dont boost high enough

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

yea if ur not using T-bolt clamps it will happen ive heard SO MANY stories of this happening cuz off the standard cheap a-- clamps. if ur using cheap clamps switch to T-bolts and u shouldnt have a problem.
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Not only use T-Bolt clamps, but also flare the ends of you IC pipes outward using a hammer so the clamps have a barrier to bite on. I'm using T-Bolt clams and Trator Trailer Radiator Hose for pipe connections. Go to your local truck stop or Tractor Trailer supply shop and get them. The Radiator hoses are double reinforced and become sticky with heat and IMOP are the best IC pipe connectors!. I've been running 24-26psi for over 10,000 miles on the stock b6t bottem end test engine with absolutely no problems.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Me too....I had it happen one of the first times I boosted to 12psi..I thought I blew the motor and almost pissed my pants. went out and popped the hood and the pipe popped off the turbo. oooops!!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

I boosted 20psi on my ze and I never had a clamp off and I was using those shitty worm clamps.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

I have always had Silicone Couplers and t-bolt connectors, never had a problem.

Also when I got my IC piping done, they laid down a bead about 1 1/2" long so the coupler wouldn't come off.
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

had the same problem so i just welded a small wire around the ends of all the pipes problem solved
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Woo i have 4 tbolt clamps oon the way and a new intake section where i can weld inmy gm IAT sensor. Wooo cant wait. Just decided to let you guys know for no reason really. Then comes the t3 60-1 mmmmmmm.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.

Return to “Forced Induction”