Was out for a bit..

Off-Topic Discussions
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Was out for a bit..

Post by Tunes67 »

But back again :) Well after a hard fought battle.. I have survived and am on my way back to being healthy enough to work on my MX's again.. Just to clear up what happened.. I was admitted to the Hospital sometime in early april (I was feverish and dont remember the exact date) Well turns out I had double pneumonia and had to be put on a ventilator for almost 2 weeks. I got out of the hospital on the 26th of april.. and did a bit of recovering at my parents place for a week before coming home.. upon coming home.. I had a delayed allergic reaction to some of the antibiotics they had me on in the hospital.. Long story short.. I was sick LOL I am getting much better and can even walk and drive again (no kidding.. I was weak as a kitten when I came to)..

As a result of this.. I have missed several PM's and have not been able to meet all of my obligations as I normally would have.. I wanted to make a public apology to Chosenrifter. He purchased a few parts from me a couple of days before I found myself in the ER at Steven's Hospital. He has been very patient and I will get the parts shipped off to him in the next day or so.

I also wanted to thank Custommx-3 (Barry) He was the only person on the site I had a chance to contact prior to finding out how sick I was.. he helped me keep things straight here on the site and I really appreciate it. Cheers man.. I owe you one :)

Its probably going to be several more weeks before I can lift a ratchet for any length of time.. but it will be good exercise.. oh.. and 2 positive things came about because of this.. hell of a way to make it to this.. but.. I am now a non smoker.. and I lost 71 lbs durning my hospital stay.. so I am not quite as big as I used to be ;)

Its good to be back.. but even better.. Its good to be alive :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

I knew you would be back Tunes.... thank God youre on the road to recovery

Awesome news about the smoking..... now you have to keep it that way :wink:

not sure if you saw this thread or not... http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... ht=tunes67
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
ariesdude

Re: Was out for a bit..

Post by ariesdude »

Sad about the battle but glad about the victory... You showed them critters who's the boss ....
Tunes67 wrote: and I lost 71 lbs durning my hospital stay..
This is the time for those cows to show their worth - stake out the steaks man ...

cow flatulence has been proven to contribute to global warning - if you love your planet you will eat meat....
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

No I hadnt seen that thread.. thanks :) I guess I should clear up the chain of events a bit so it makes a bit more sense to everyone.

On the weekend of April 1st.. I (and a couple of friends) pulled the engine and trans from my GS.

On Monday april 3rd I threw my back out in the shower :oops: This is actually a pretty common thing for me and its a direct result of me neglecting to replace my shoes when the arch support goes flat. My back goes out of alignment and I pinch a pysatic (sp?) nerve in my back.. which hurts like hell when I try to move.. so no big deal.. went and got new shoes.. back should realign in a few days and all will be right with the universe.. thing is.. it didnt go quite as I thought. Also something I noticed but didnt think significant at the time was that in the past.. when I have thrown out my back.. its my left leg and side that hurt from the pinched nerve.. this time it was my right side. Now.. if I hadnt been so sure it was my shoes at this point.. I wouldnt have spent any time in the hospital..

See one of the other symptoms of Pneumonia is a sore back.. something I was not aware of. And since I was soo sure that I knew what was wrong with me.. I toughed it out.. letting my case of pneumonia turn into double pneumonia... which is the same as pneumonia except that Both of your lungs fill with fluid.. In my case.. the more my lungs filled with fluid.. the more feverish I got and the more my back hurt.. to the point where I was convinced that my mattress must have lost its lumbar support (yeah I was pretty feverish by this point) And I ordered a new mattress on my parents Visa.. good thing my parents are so nice LOL

I am not sure which day I was taken to the emergency room by my parents.. and they arent to sure either.. best guess was either friday or saturday.. I will have the bill soon and will know for sure then.. I do know that when my parents came to see me on sunday.. I was already hooked up to the ventilator and in a induced coma. Had some very wild hallucinations while I was on this device that are as vivid as real memories.. really weird stuff and as told by the hospital psychologist not to try and make sense out of them.. to just let them go. When I asked why.. he said that he knew of at least one case where a patient went insane from the hallucinations after being on the ventilator. The ventilator is also very nasty to your muscle tone.. for some reason your muscles atrophie far faster on the ventilator than they do if your just confined to bed for a month.. once I was excavated (thats what they call it) from the ventilator.. I was out for a few more days.. when I came to.. things got real crazy. I could barely move my legs.. forget standing up.. No sweat.. a week of leg & back exercizes and I was able to convince the hospitals physical therapy people that I could take care of myself.. they cleared me for check out of Stevens Hospital on April 26th. I hate hospitals.. so I did what I had to, to get the heck out of there... But I was barely 50% of what I am usually able to do.. so I spent a week at my parents place recovering and doing more walking and exercising. A week ago today.. I moved back home to my duplex. Found out that my parents had hired professional cleaners to come into my place and cleaned my carpets, walls, and furniture (and god knows what else).. to get rid as much of the cigarette smoke smell as possible from my place.. believe me.. with as sensitive as my nose has gotten.. I can say they did a dang good job. However.. I had to find all my stuff and get everything back operational so I could get online and start taking care of my responsibilities.

How do you get pneumonia? In my case it was by being stupid and well.. a bit cheap :oops: Since its just me here at my place.. I rarely turned the heat on during this past winter.. so while we dont see subzero temps here.. I created an enviroment that pneumonia thrives in. Molds and mildews and cold are the most common causes of pneumonia. Make no mistake here guys.. Pneumonia can be deadly. It can also be as simple to take care of as the common cold. But if left untreated it will kill you as it almost did me. Keep in mind that I was also a smoker at the time this came on.. which just made matters worsen for me just that much faster.

Anyway.. to summerize.. turn on your heat.. if your back hurts.. see a doctor and make sure he listens to your breathing. Hope this helps everyone follow the chain of events a bit better.. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Man...you must have been in bad shape to think about having back surgery...Then to find out that you just have a case of Pnemonia that is that bad. I am glad to hear that you have battled through it and it sounds like you came out of it for the better. Having quit smoking and having dropped a few pounds...and with some wisdom to share with everyone. Pnemonia is nothing to mess around with. So glad to have you back. Get better fast so that you can zoom shift zoom.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Great to see you back Tunes!!!

hopefully you can get back to wrenching soon!

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Re: Was out for a bit..

Post by mr1in6billion »

Tunes67 wrote:oh.. and 2 positive things came about because of this.. hell of a way to make it to this.. but.. I am now a non smoker.. and I lost 71 lbs durning my hospital stay.. so I am not quite as big as I used to be ;)
Glad to see you toughed it out. Also glad to see you dropped the smoking. Both my grandparents were chainsmokers. My grandmother died of it long before I was born. My grandfather tried to quit constantly. It wasn't until he had a heartattack and was hospitalized that he was able to fully quit. Its kind of nice to see good come from bad places.
Meep

Post by Meep »

I had pneumonia before during my second semester of college and it took me about a week and very sickly conditions to realize it. Thankfully, I caught it early enough that it did minimal damage (just some scarring on my lungs and horrible fluctuations in my BS/weight/breathing) and I was able to go home within a few days to rest.Of course, this was the week before finals and I took them feeling like total sh!t. Consequently, I did poorly on a few finals.

But, I'm glad you're recovering Tunes. Its glad to hear you're back now. :D I took was quite touchy to smoke afterwards too (my husband smokes) and so he doesn't do it as much around me.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Welcome back bro!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Man...you must have been in bad shape to think about having back surgery...
Man.. here is how bad it was.. I remember having that MSN conversation with you that week.. but I dont even remember what day of the week it was on :( My boss has been incredibly cool about the whole thing.. my job is not in jeopardy and I can return to work as soon as I am able. My temp was taken in the ER when I was taken in.. I was running a fever of 103.6.. which I am told is pretty high. Currently.. I am almost done with this stuff.. just some minor left overs from the whole thing.. mainly a nasty allergic reaction to some of the antibiotics I was on.. once this is all cleared up and I can get off these damn meds.. I can really start making progress.. with a bit of luck.. I'll be bustin my knuckles on my GS before I am even back at work ;) But hey.. besides losing weight and quitting smoking.. I got my place professionally cleaned (and since I am a bachelor.. you can bet they earned that cash LOL), got new shoes and a new mattress out of the deal.. all in all.. I'd rather have my GS finished and be zooming down the roads ;)

Tunes67

neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Hey welcome back Tunes. Wondered about ya when ya disappeared after the swap & back-thing. Good to hear you're on the mend.
Image -Jim
mymx.3
Supporting Member

Post by mymx.3 »

I'm sure glad you are back .. when someone on here doesn't post like they normally do .. I do get concern and wonder if they are OK.

I'm glad positive things came out of all of this.

DEB :wink:
New owner of a "2008 Tiburon GT"
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Good to see you back and doing well. :D
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current

Return to “Off-Topic”