Misfiring?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
solo_ryder

Misfiring?

Post by solo_ryder »

hey, got my ze in with a k8 mani and the k8 ecu and je50 VAF (hope that is the right combo since I havent yet installed the Im from the ZE) and it seems to be misfiring at lower rpms, the timing is dead on and the disty is from my k8 so I know it works. I also changed the spark plug wires and that did not make a difference, the sound seems to go away at higher rpms and it is smooth, could it be a vaccum leek or a TPS issue? May it is the ecu that I am running or the VAF combo... Its just really rough, any ideas guys?
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

could be the ECU. IIRC the ecu is set to pump in a smaller amount of fuel into the engine than the KL is supposed to have.
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

yes, that IS it, wrong computer. I had the K8 computer on my KLDE for awhile, man was it bad. It was dog slow and sounded like it had a cam in it and the car wasnt tuned right!! At high RPM's it ran way to lean and cut out at 5000 RPM's like a turbo car with too much boost. Stick in a probe computer and mass air and you should be good to go. :wink:
http://www.streetpsi.net

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I have a kl36 ecu, but I thought you were to run the k8 ecu with the k8 mani and the je50...
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

no way, not good, not enough fuel delivery. Think of it this way, your 2.5 is getting the same amount of fuel as your 1.8 was. It cant work that way, at least not well. Just trust me, you arent getting enough air or fuel. I would say you are probably losing 15-20 or so potential horsepower between all of that that you have going on. :wink: When I got mine running right, it was night and day difference, almost like a small nitrous shot.

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I dont think that a DE would react the same way as a ze for the ECU?
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

I had the k8 ecu on the ze for years np at all..cept for being rich.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Thats what I thought, the damn this is not ideling worth shat. Gotta figure it out tommorow...
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Any other ideas?
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

stick that computer in, I am sitting here telling you I had the EXACT same problem. Make sure the mass air matches the computer and you are using the correct injectors.

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
kanipimp

Post by kanipimp »

I'd say it's because you're still running stock injectors. I ran the K8 ecu, Je-50, K8 IM for a year with no problems exept it ran rich. It was slow and torqueless till I swapped out the fuel rail and injectors from the ZE IM. Mind you having the ZE IM and proper ecu will make you think your engine used to be crippled :shock: Your ecu will still think your running the smaller 170cc injectors, so you'll be pumping more fuel. Try swithching the whole rail unit with injectors still in and see if that helps.
From KL-ZE Strait neck KL31 MX3 to RHD 300zxTT
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Isn't the ideal ZE set up a ZE block, kl-31 cams, MS8 intake manifold and a kl31 ECU ?
1993 MX-3 GS-SE -> Leather Interior, HEI Mod, Blaster 2 coil, NGK spark wires, Cold Air Intake, Underbody kit, Strut bar, Iridium plugs, Phoenix Gold amp 400w, Bazooka 12" sub-> 62,000 miles and still going ? Amazing lol..
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

RacerX wrote:Isn't the ideal ZE set up a ZE block, kl-31 cams, MS8 intake manifold and a kl31 ECU ?
Yea, well, I am looking into getting a MS8 IM from another member on this board but they dont pm me back, then I can run my kl36 ecu,
2.5mazda wrote:stick that computer in, I am sitting here telling you I had the EXACT same problem. Make sure the mass air matches the computer and you are using the correct injectors.
Yea well u were running a DE, and I am running the k8ecu/im and je50 vaf so those are all the right combos, it sounds like it is running on 5 cyclinders that is all, will check the plugs today.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

The K8 ECU has a closer fuel map to the KLZE than the KLDE ECU does.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Custommx3 wrote:The K8 ECU has a closer fuel map to the KLZE than the KLDE ECU does.
Yes that is what i had figured, I may have some sort of vacuum leak somewhere, I am going to leave it alone until I get a good IM for the car, but drving in town is fine, anything above 1.5K rpms is good.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”