Roof rack for mx-3?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Prexus2005

Roof rack for mx-3?

Post by Prexus2005 »

Mountain biking is one of my passions. I've been able to drop my bike in the back of the Mx-3 with the backseats folded down and front wheel of the bike off. It actually works pretty well. I can even fit two bikes in the back when my friend comes with me. It's a tight fit but I can just get them in... but it's such a hassle.

I've tried different hatch/trunk mount bike carriers but they don't feel secure. And the length of my bikes are longer then the width of the car so they stick out on both ends.

I've always like the clean look of bikes sitting on roof racks but couldn't find one that would fit the Mx-3. Yakima doesn't make one that fits. Thule shows their Aero 400xt(r) with a Fit Kit 156 will fit the Mx3.. but i'm doubious...

Which leads me to ask, does anyone actually have a roof rack installed on their Mx3? And what items are you able to carry? Bikes, skis, surfboards, kaykas?

Thanks,

Phil.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

fwiw, I have a Saris roof rack set-up but don't use it on either my 2-door '90 MX-6 or the MX-3 to carry bikes. I only carry skis or snowboards on those cars. The Saris roof rack/rails will fit ok on both cars, with the right clips, but the additional roof bike attachment won't mount properly on the Saris rack for those cars cuz the 2 roof racks have to be mounted too close to each other - due to the 2-door coupe style.

For the same reason, I'd never try a kayak or canoe on the MX-6 or MX-3. I carry those on the Saris rack mounted to the roof of a 4-door Camry or 626, where the rack/rails can be mounted far enough apart to carry longer heavier items, including bikes.
Image -Jim
joe 92mx3

Post by joe 92mx3 »

put a trailer hitch on 135.00 they make those racks that fit inside the hitch or use a welder and make your own
92 mazda mx3 v6 red white wheels
Prexus2005

Post by Prexus2005 »

a hitch on the Mx3 with 2 bikes on it would look.... silly.. =p

Thanks though. =)

Phil.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”