Fuel Smell

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
shawno

Fuel Smell

Post by shawno »

Hey everyone i have the Ze swap done about a year ago. and i always smell gas. I can drive around normal all day and smell no gas. I have checked there no leaks or anything. But as soon as i floor it i can smell gas so strong but none is on the ground. I dont understand.
92 GS KL-ZE, millenia intake, 5 Speed, Custom eyelids, custom molded 98 Toyota supra tail lights, Lowered, lambo doors. Still under construction, And more to come
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Sounds Rich.
1993 MX-3 GS-SE -> Leather Interior, HEI Mod, Blaster 2 coil, NGK spark wires, Cold Air Intake, Underbody kit, Strut bar, Iridium plugs, Phoenix Gold amp 400w, Bazooka 12" sub-> 62,000 miles and still going ? Amazing lol..
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

Exhaust leak?
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I have a GS with just K&N & minor mods & I smell gas usually, too. I'm sure I don't have a gas leak because I get 33-35 mpg on the highway. I wonder if it's normal to smell it.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
shawno

Post by shawno »

Hey im gas milage is 200Km for a tank of gas but i driver her hard on the highway i can break 300 but yea i smell fuel no exhuast leaks and no gas on the ground.
92 GS KL-ZE, millenia intake, 5 Speed, Custom eyelids, custom molded 98 Toyota supra tail lights, Lowered, lambo doors. Still under construction, And more to come
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

It couldn't be coming from the fuel tank could it? It sounds weird to me that there would be a fuel smell without a hole in the tank, a fuel line, fuel rail, fuel inector, or the exhaust (or engine for that matter, but a gas smell would be the least of your worries in that instance hehe). The only other thing I can think of would be if there is something really screwed up with the EGR system and it leaks when it is actuated (never heard of this happening before) in which case, that would qualify as a high rpm exhaust leak. I don't know much about the VRIS but that kicks in when you step on it doesn't it? Is that capable of leaking gasses? And I guess there is the charcole canister and the line(s) to it (don't think it would be associated with "stepping" on it though). These are just a few ideas in terms of where fuel can come from (because it is where there is fuel).

Maybe you could see if someone could smell where it is coming from when you rev it :roll:
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
yvan

Post by yvan »

:D ah ha.. i have found out whatcha are talking about.. i too smell gas..go crazy look around and no leaks.. i drove her around for awhile..build up some pressure inside the tank and come to a stop..sure enough i smell it.. try opening gas cap..whhaa no pressure, took inside cover off from left rear wheel, and yep there's a fine crack along the fill tube, and the plastic tube that connect to the fuel tank seem to be going too.. replace em both, and no more crazy fuel smell.

another mx3 mystery slove, well on my car that is :wink:
93' blue mx-3, klze curve neck, kl36ecu, all the upgrade possible/out turbo.
mafadecayhastings

Post by mafadecayhastings »

Same thing happened to me with my V6. Only where I come from we call it petrol and not gas!

I tried getting on the UK mazda site but I think somebody stole this site and changed to the UK but cant register.

Anyway back to my problem, I called out the recovery guy and low and behold my tank has rusted and split half way up. If I keep fuel less than half a tank then no spill, unless hard cornering.

The guy suggested getting it sorted ASAP but also suggested that off the record if I run her low shouldn't be a problem. This is no good for me as I only just got my car and do not want her bursting into flames.

Also there are no UK workshop manuals only the US or jap import manual which are rare to find in the UK. Anybody got step by step how to remove and refit a fuel tank on the V6 24Valve :?: I believe you go from inside the car and remove the rear seats 1st.

Cheers Matt from the UK :oops:
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

My gs smelled like gas before it blew up.. anywho.. check under the seat.. I be the gasket to fiel pump is gone or the fuel filler pipe has a hole..doesnt leak buit it reeaks..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Flinch

Post by Flinch »

umm check your fuel injectors the seals around them might be blown or something, then when you punch it you might get a little leaky leaky that hapend in my winter beater. It makes it worse when you crank the fans up too.
-KL31 stock internals with curved neck intake manifold and KL36 ecu
-Turbo running 7.5psi
-FMI 3"x12"x32" all alluminum and welded, have a 7.5 PSI spring she just creeps on cold nights
-ACT 6puck sprung/96 probe tranny
-Short shifter
-HEI and MSD 6al (makes a big difference when you spend the 65$ ont he right spark plugs)
-KYB GR-2 struts with H & R springs
-Megan racing seats
-Personal 280mm stearing wheel
-Familia rear strut tower bar
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

shawno wrote:Hey im gas milage is 200Km for a tank of gas but i driver her hard on the highway i can break 300 but yea i smell fuel no exhuast leaks and no gas on the ground.
Shawn, you should be getting way more mileage than that. A minimum of 400km with constant aggressive driving and at least over 500km per tank with strictly highway.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
mx-3_rider

Post by mx-3_rider »

change ur fuel pump thats what happen when i installed a ze into my mx6.... i went 2 my friend house n he said its ur fuel pump.... if ur fuel pump is good condition it most be ur fuel injecters....
96 eclipse GST

future 93 mazda mx-3..

next year 91 toyota supra turbo..
obee

Post by obee »

On my brothers mx-6 when he did the klze swap he ran the stock ecu for about a week and it smelt like major gas sometimes because it would send to much gas to the engine sometimes and others not enough so if you have your stock ecu check tht
mx-3_rider

Post by mx-3_rider »

running a stock ecu on the klze it kinda bad cause the ze are way different than the stock motors... look for a kl36 j spec ecu or go to mx6.com and look for a guy his name is probenator something like that.... there 55 shipped...
96 eclipse GST

future 93 mazda mx-3..

next year 91 toyota supra turbo..
Ramdao

Post by Ramdao »

Hi I might know the answer to this mistery!

Pretty shure that this smell comes from the charcoal filter canister needs to be replace.

It's located on the right side of the engine bay hanging on the firewall

I say so because it's happening to me, no fuel leaks anywhere, so after driving a while in hot wheather it shows up real strong smell.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”