Problems, car won't start

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
AdamWest

Problems, car won't start

Post by AdamWest »

Alright, this is my first post so I will try to make sure you guys have all the info you need to answer my question. I got my Mx-3 about 2 months ago, no problems with it except for my CV shafts need replaced, but I read that is quite common. Car has 120k miles, it is a 94 GS. Only mod is a ram air intake I made. Now for the problem. I was pulling out of work to go to lunch and about a mile down the road, I was in neutral coasting around a corner and the engine just started sputtering and when I pushed the gas it died. Now it doesn't want to start, but sometimes it will, but it idles very rough and when I push on the gas it dies. I've been told that it could be the timing belt, but I was under the impression that the car wouldn't start if the timing belt was snapped. I've also been told that it might be the fuel filter that just got clogged. Thx for any and all help!
twoie

Post by twoie »

welcome.

there are many many thing this could be. Look to see if you have spark. Look to see if fuel is getting to the injectors, and llok to see if vac hoses are all connected. If you use the search it will probably be a large help. Once you get some of this info try and post your results so the members have a better idea.

twoie
AdamWest

Post by AdamWest »

Well, I check and I have spark, and as far as I can see all my vacuum lines are connected, clamped and not leaking. I haven't been able to check my fuel delivery yet. I'm really pretty sure that is my problem, either fuel filter or the fuel pump screen got clogged. I was just wondering if a fuel filter could get clogged that fast.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Did you check if the fuel pump actually works?
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Bucking Bronco

Post by Bucking Bronco »

Check out the V6 Technical/Performance forum , the V6 FAQ and the online shop manual. Lots of info :)
It also could be your distributor very common problem :roll:
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Did you keep the ribbed air intake hose when the ram air was added? If so, take it off, flex it and look carefully for any hairline cracks esp between ribs. It's a common prob often overlooked that allows unmetered intake air that can cause all the symptoms described. A temp wrap of duct tape can be appplied to cover any cracks til a repl. hose is installed.
AdamWest wrote:Well, I check and I have spark, and as far as I can see all my vacuum lines are connected, clamped and not leaking. I haven't been able to check my fuel delivery yet. I'm really pretty sure that is my problem, either fuel filter or the fuel pump screen got clogged. I was just wondering if a fuel filter could get clogged that fast.
Image -Jim
AdamWest

Post by AdamWest »

The ribbed intake hose was all cracked to heck which is why I took it off, cause I was having these problems before. Just checked and I am getting fuel so I'm back to thinking that I'm not getting spark. When I take out my plug wires, some of them have oil on them, probly cause my valve cover gaskets are leaking. I'm going to try replacing my plugs and wires, if that doesn't work, I'm going to try the disty.
joe 92mx3

Post by joe 92mx3 »

ther is also a plug on the side of your air box if it commes unplugged it will run funny or will not run pull some pluggs see if ther wet or maby mist some gas down your throtleboby
92 mazda mx3 v6 red white wheels

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”