Fuel Pump Relay Question.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RacerX

Fuel Pump Relay Question.

Post by RacerX »

If the relay in our Gs's go bad, is there a way to bypass them so i dont have to pay 80 billion dollars to buy a new one ?
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

You could just go to a local junkyard and get another or get one from someone on mx-3.com.

But yes, you can bypass the relay. It's just as easy to pick a new one up at the junkyard and not worry about having a hardwired fuel pump.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

You could also get any generic relay and wire it in. I think a 30 Amp relay costs about $4.99 or something like that.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Dom

Post by Dom »

^^^ yeah its 4.99, but getting one form a junkyard is 4.99+tax cheaper and a lot easier than wiring in a relay
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

can someone shine some light on how-to ? it's going to be a while before I can afford a new one for 67.99 $ from the dealership and a lot longer before one pops up in the junkyards lolol..I went to 3 different ones today and i found one gs but the ecm and relay were ripped out...literally..
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

ew @ dealership.. ive seen them for around 30 at autoparts stores
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

ariesdude wrote:You could also get any generic relay and wire it in. I think a 30 Amp relay costs about $4.99 or something like that.
I'm with him
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Ok..so how do I wire in a 30 Amp relay to replace the OEM one ? Is that all it basically is ?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You could do it a few ways.
1. use a spade terminal to plug into the slots where the sotck one pugs into the fuse box and run the wires to the new one. Cut a small hole in the side of the lid of the fuse box so that you can run the wire out without pinching it.
2. You could take the fuse box out and then pull the terminals out of the sockets of the plastic and harwire them to the new wires. Run the new wires out the bottom of the box and to the new relay.

I'd check all parts stores for a stock replacement first. It will be alot cheaper and easier.

As for exact wiring, the generic relay will have the wiring instructions and the stock realy will have a diagram on top of it if I'm not mistaken.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
ktmrider

Post by ktmrider »

There is a perfect diagram of the relay pin outs in the "Online Manual" from the home page.
Definitely recommend using a relay as hard wiring the system is NOT a good idea...
93 MX-3 1.8L V-6
FREE!
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Alright purchased a new relay and it still dies XD man..this is pissing me off..lol..
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Is the relay operating when you turn the ignition on?
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Yeah I can hear it clicking when I try cranking the engine over.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Check your "Fuel Injector" fuse in the engine bay first thing.

If thats ok, your best bet is to check for power at the BLACK / RED wire on the relay. If you got power, check at the fuel pump under the back seat.

If no power at those we can work backwards to find where the fauls is.
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Everything has power :(

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”