windows xp help

Off-Topic Discussions
92mazdaman

windows xp help

Post by 92mazdaman »

anyone a coputer tech guy or girl here i need major help!! i recently just partioned my c drive so windows would stop crashing and redid windows. however i had to download a bunch of drivers to get it running to my specs. but i can not get my laptop to the internet. it realizes the ethernet cable plugged in but it says :limited or no connectivity"i also have a wireless card through my pci slot and it doesnt want to connect to network. so basicly it will notice connections but wont acually connect ive tried everything from dell support.com no dive any help would be appreciated
im yergie
Nd4SpdSe

Re: windows xp help

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

92mazdaman wrote:anyone a coputer tech guy or girl here i need major help!! i recently just partioned my c drive so windows would stop crashing and redid windows. however i had to download a bunch of drivers to get it running to my specs. but i can not get my laptop to the internet. it realizes the ethernet cable plugged in but it says :limited or no connectivity"i also have a wireless card through my pci slot and it doesnt want to connect to network. so basicly it will notice connections but wont acually connect ive tried everything from dell support.com no dive any help would be appreciated
We'll, the fact that your laptop can detect the network both wired and wireless give me the impression that your laptop and the network cards are working properly. The "Limited Or No Connectibity" means that it knows it's connected to a physical network, but it's not getting an IP address. As well, if you can detect but can't successfully connect to your wireless network. Because both your wireless and wired connections aren't working, I suspect the router and not your laptop, especially after a fresh format.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
92mazdaman

Post by 92mazdaman »

no i thought that as well but my roomate has his going through the router and his works fine anything else
im yergie
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Router's aren't perfect...I wouldn't assume it's working 100%. I've had my router partially work. One good test, connect your laptop directly to the internet. If it works (after maybe resetting the modem), than your laptop's fine and it's definitely the router.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
92mazdaman

Post by 92mazdaman »

it doesntconnect through the ethernet cable either it says limited or no connectivity
im yergie
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

if you connect it directly to the internet?

Hmm...maybe it's your TCP/Ip stack

Try:
Start -> run -> CMD -> OK
netsh winsock rest
restart when prompted.
freakyalien

Post by freakyalien »

Try kicking it. If that doesn't work, start swearing....if its REAL stubborn, see if you can get it to connect on a different connection (friends house, library, school...)
Vroooom
92mazdaman

Post by 92mazdaman »

i always said a good drop kick does the trick :D i tried it at work yesterday<broadband>no dice. ialso did the command promp thing and no luck there any other suggestions?
im yergie
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Try going into your NIC card properties and setting your link speed to each, and trying it after each setting. (probably set to default or auto)

100BaseT full duplex

100BaseT half duplex

10BaseT full duplex

10BaseT half duplex

Some NICS are capable of gigabit ethernet (1000baseT) but unfortunatley most networks do not support such, and since it s set to auto negotiate, it tries to connect at that speed, but will not pull an IP. On my network @ home I have a similar issue. When I wired my house, my closet where my punchdown is is close to my Circuit breaker box. This causes some interference with my network wiring. I have to set mine to a lower link speed.

Another thing, how is your network connected?
DJ

Post by DJ »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:if you connect it directly to the internet?

Hmm...maybe it's your TCP/Ip stack

Try:
Start -> run -> CMD -> OK
netsh winsock rest
restart when prompted.
If you are getting the limited connectivity thing and a 192.169.whatever address instead of 192.168.whatever then try what he said, if that doesn't work try re-installing winsock.

Windows XP only:

To resolve this issue, delete the corrupted registry keys, and then reinstall the TCP/IP protocol.
Step 1: Delete the corrupted registry keys
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. In Registry Editor, locate the following keys, right-click each key, and then click Delete:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

restart computer then:

Step 2: Install TCP/IP
1. Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
2. Click Install.
3. Click Protocol, and then click Add.
4. Click Have Disk.
5. Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
6. On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
7. Restart the computer.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

some of this sounds way overboard w/o knowing what the actual problem is. it could be as simple as the nic not being set to obtain dns or ip addy automatically, or vice versa, if dhcp isn't enabled on the router
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

ninjajim4 wrote:some of this sounds way overboard w/o knowing what the actual problem is. it could be as simple as the nic not being set to obtain dns or ip addy automatically, or vice versa, if dhcp isn't enabled on the router
agreed, and another thing for the wireless not working is make sure if you have wep inabled that your computer knows your wep key.

see if your router is seeing the mac address of your comp or not, and thats a starting point.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
DJ

Post by DJ »

From what he is describing it is a problem I see and fix on a daily basis.

I literally JUST fixed a PC with that problem. Recognizes the cable is plugged in but is not grabbing a proper IP... corrupt winsock.

Often it gets messed up from sympatico's freedom internet security or microsofts own antispyware (aka windows defender) and of course misc. adware.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Corrupt winsock on a fresh formatted PC?
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

ya that sounds a little whacked, why jump into all this winstack stuff before checking to see if the router can "see" the computer or not.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif

Return to “Off-Topic”