It just dies

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
sk8erdude802

It just dies

Post by sk8erdude802 »

Ill be driving down the highway for like 15 or 20 min and the engine dies. Its always happened on the highway, not sure if that matters or not but any way I pull over and try to start it back up and it wont for the first two or three times but then it does and I go about my way like it had never happened.

Ok, I repaced a couple of things that may be related to the problem and may not. PCV vale and vaccum hoses to it, radiator caps, and installed an interga CAI. But on the way to work this morning it did the same thing.

Any ideas?

Steve-O
rowdyPGT

Post by rowdyPGT »

try the alternator....because id\f it is the alternator, well the alternator just stop givin power to the car and its gonna die,..but i dont know whats up with that...is just a guess
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

Someone said try the O2 sensor. Does that ring a bell to anyone?

Steve-O

P.S. Im going to check out a nissan 240 that I might buy. LOL
gsr-se

it just dies

Post by gsr-se »

I wenrt thur this over 5 years ag....it cost about 3-4ooCAN for fix....its the distributer sensor if i member correctly....cant recall the exact name.... the car starts up after a bit, then after driving, it just dies?
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Its probably your ignition module (in the distributor)

http://www.clubprotege.com/wil/howto/hei/index.htm
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

Classic example of a module failure but to be sure, before you do the whole HEI conversion which is easy to do by the way,

First-Make sure you put in your car a spark plug remover and a piece of wire about 2' long.
Second-Make sure your driving with a passenger b4 you go on the hwy.

Third-Drive the car on the hwy and when it stalls, pull over and take out a spark plug, wrap one end of your 2' wire around threads of spark plug and attach other end of the wire on a grounding point of the car like a bolt or something. Then plug your spark plug wire back into the spark plug and dangle the spark plug away from anything metal. Then get your passenger to try and crank the car. If you see a flash, you've got spark and the module is not your issue. If you don't.....HEI conversion.

OR---you can just go spend 30 bucks and do the HEI which could resolve your issues but you'll never know if that was the true source until you find yourself broken down again.
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
gsr-se

Post by gsr-se »

ahhh yes....distribuor module....thats the $$$ part..... :)
Like i mentioned, it was atleast 5+ years since that happened... I havent been on here for like the same amount of time..... I decided to pop in and say hello....hope to chat with you all more soon :)
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

Update: I replaced spark plugs and fuel filter. No good. The HEI conversion may be next. Ill keep you guys posted.

Steve-O
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I was going to suggest your disty too.. seems as if it dies when it gets hot, do the HEI mod! cheap and easy fix.
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

I did the HEI mod. Ive drivin like 14 miles and it didnt die. Maybe it fixed it, mabye it dies tomorrow on the way to work. Ill keep you guys posted. I think I need to ground it out better cause the HEI part gets really hot. Im talking burn the hell out of your finger hot. Ill take a picture of it later.

Steve-O
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

engine died again this morning. I only have the HEI bolted on to the mount by one side. Good news is that it only died when I was really truckin to get on the highway. Do you guys think it will fix it if I ground it out better? At least Im getting in the right direction..I hope.

Steve-O
gsr-se

Post by gsr-se »

sure does sound like dist. module :( Call your local Mazda and get a quote..... Possibly buy the part, and change it yourself to cut down on costs?? Hope you find the problem :)
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

http://www.clubprotege.com/wil/howto/hei/index.htm
2: MAKE SURE you create a bracket for the HEI module or your module will heat up significantly, which can lead to its failure. To be safe, create a custom bracket out of some 1" wide (or wider) bracketry and secure the HEI to it so that the bottom of the HEI (the part that is metal) FLATLY sits on top of it. This will ensure the HEI module is grounded well and working properly. It will also run at a much cooler temperature.

As you can see in this pic, I grounded the back of hte HEI flat-against the bracket I made for it. I secure it with some car stereo screws w/retainer
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

How much would mazada charge to tell me whats wrong? will they even do that? Im tired of just changing out parts and it still being retarded.

Steve-O
Dom

Post by Dom »

itll probably cost an arm and a leg and maybe a ear if they dont have a sale on, it most likely is your disty...i would try re-wiring the hei module using the proper wire and mounting it in a proper location---the cooler the better....if not ull have to get a new disty which is an arm and a leg anyways

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”