Flywheel...and suspension

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Boris

Flywheel...and suspension

Post by Boris »

I'm hopefully putting in my centerforce clutch this weekend (if it doesn't rain). I looked into light centerforce flywheels, but they cost way too much money for my liking. I want tips on how to lighten my current flywheel. I was thinking of machining it down more, and/or makin a few holes on the part of the flywheel that doesn't make contact...

These are just random ideas, so if anyone has any tips, or wants to tell me how ridiculous my idea is, please let me know.

Another question I have is who makes a suspension lowering kit for a 4cyl mx3? I'm sure this has been discussed in the forum but I can't seem to find anything. I have some MX6 lowering springs... anyone know whether they'd fit?

Thanks,
Boris
Boris

Post by Boris »

Everyone can ignore the lowering kit question. I've realized they're not as hard to find as I thought hehe. I would still like to know whether the MX6 springs would fit though.

Thanks
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

I wouldn't advise drill holes into any flywheel or brake rotor that has been seasoned. If it was green you might be able to get away with drilling small holes in the flywheel surface. You have to remember that a flywheel doesn't have a lot of airflow around it and needs the mass to dissipate much of the heat if you start drilling hole in the flywheel like a crossdrilled rotor there is a good change the it could fracture. The diameter is larger and a greater amount of the mass is centered farther out from the center of rotation that a brake rotor plus the rotational speed of the flywheel is more the 4 times faster that a brake rotor which means if there is any fractures around one of these holes you drilled in the flywheel there is a very good chance that the flywheel will chatter at high rpms sending chunks of high velosity steel through the bellhousing and firewall. I still remember I guy I knew about 22 years ago that lost his right foot for the very reason in a RWD car. Look at the position of your flywheel and imaging what else other that your feet you could loose if the modified stock flywheel decides to let go.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

i do know that the front struts on the 2ng gen mx-3 4/6 will fit in the mx-3 front but not the rear struts or just the spring as the rear look different. a while back i used mx-6 struts/springs untill i replaced the stock spring on my mx-3 struts. It did raise mt car a little bit .
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Boris

Post by Boris »

Thanks for the help guys...I didn't think drilling would be a good idea but I thought I'd at least ask. Where would I be able to find out how much of the flywheel I can take off? Last thing I'd want is to take too much off...

Anyone happen to know of any light flywheels going for under $300-400? I know it's probably a long shot, but oh well.

I didn't think the mx3 and mx6 springs would match up exactly... Would have been nice just cuz I have some mx6 springs.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”