coolant level stays low

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX34ME

coolant level stays low

Post by MX34ME »

My first MX3, had 6 mnts, car dies often, took me some time too determine it is temperature related. Always stutters and engine light may flicker and will stall if I take my foot off of the gas while driving.I was going to replace the coolant temp sensor but after noticing my coolant level does'nt stay at the top. I fill it at the filler cap make sure the resevoir is filled to line then I run the car till it gets to normal operating temp, when engine gets hot coolant reservoir gets fuller but when the engine gets cool the water does not retune to the engine and my upper radiator hose will partially colapse. could it be that a new radiator hose would solve this reservoir problem and I'm thinking after reading the posts related to this topic that my stalling problem my be related to low coolant level. anyone had this problem, any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks! :?:
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You could have a blocked radiator or some air in the system. Take it in to a shop and have a flush and refill done. You should also find out why it was running hot in the first place. It may need a new thermostat, or radiator.

BE CAREFUL, running a MX-3 hot will very quickly ruin the motor. We have aluminum heads that will warp or crack with the slightest of ease. SO get it fixed without letting it run hot again.

Also, just as a note, you know not to add water to a hot car right. Let it cool comletely down first. You can check the temp by just turning the key to "ON" and see what the needle reads without cranking it.

Good luck, it should be a cheap easy fix if you haven't run it hot enough to cause any damage.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Check your filler cap. Check radiator and check termostat. You never wanna add water to a hot car UNLESS its running, check that you dont have a leak in the iac unit under the tb.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Yes you could encounter stalling and poorer performance with a bunged up cooling system. Follow Pat's suggestions to the letter. I'm thinking that you were also encountering some air pockets in the system and when a pocket that normally rises in time reaches the water thermosensor area it will give incorrect temp info to the ECU whereupon the ECU will make the according changes like fuel mixture settings.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
MX34ME

Post by MX34ME »

I have'nt run the engine hot, I had a water leak but got it fixed, I have tested the coolant sensors by the manual and they appear good, I just am not sure why the water fills the coolant reservoir but does'nt return to the engine, on my other cars (1 is a 626) the radiator hose does'nt partially collapse when the engine cools down, I'm thinkin maybe a bad coolant cap and or radiator hose? :?
MX34ME

Post by MX34ME »

I think I've solved my wacky engine prolems, I replaced my coolant temp sensor (green one) and my stalling problem was solved, but my radiator fans came on sometimes when I started the engine in the morning, when I started to drive fans would go on and off straning my electrical and causing lites to dim at nite and the check engine lite would also flash on and off until the engine would reach normal operating temperature. so I replaced all three temperature sensors and guess what, no more crazy engine problems. 8)
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

I replaced my Temp. sensor ( the green one ) but it did nothing for me lol...$26.99 later still dies XD

What are the other two sensors called the 2 pin lack one and the single wire black one ? Maybe i'll replace those as well and have some good fortune for doing so.
1993 MX-3 GS-SE -> Leather Interior, HEI Mod, Blaster 2 coil, NGK spark wires, Cold Air Intake, Underbody kit, Strut bar, Iridium plugs, Phoenix Gold amp 400w, Bazooka 12" sub-> 62,000 miles and still going ? Amazing lol..
MX34ME

Post by MX34ME »

All three sensors are close togather, near the filler cap on the mx3. black one with two wires is radiator fan control, the single wire one is for the temp guage on the dash. 8)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”