Underdrive Pulley

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
slimmyslim1420

Underdrive Pulley

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

I am in the process of tearing down my K8. I am now almost all the way into it. Tomorrow I will be taking off the underdrive pulley and I was wondering if anyone had some advise on the easiest way to get it off. Mainly the bolt though. I know the crank turns as you turn that bolt so is there any (easy) way to get it off? I do have the tool to remove it, I am just looking for any suggestions before I start on it.
thanks
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping
Bucking Bronco

Post by Bucking Bronco »

Sounds ghetto but,
I cut one of my serp belts wrapped it around the passanger axle and then wrapped the rest around the crank as tight as possible. When you turn the bolt the belt tightens and you should be able to get the bolt out.

The belt should be wrapped clockwise around the axle and counter clockwise on the pulley. Edit - I used a breaker bar and 3 ft cheater bar :twisted:
If it doesnt make any cents sorry.

I spent more time typing this than it took to get off :wink:

Derek
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

impact gun works for me
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

Well unfortunatly I don't have any air tools. And the egine is sitting on an engine stand with just basically the block left in tact. So I don't really have a lot to use to hold the pulley in place. Babyblue you said you used an impact wrench, did you use anything to keep the pulley from turning?
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

what I use normally is an electric impact gun and I hold the pulley with my hands.
BUT when I don't have it with me as I was when we did ovendek's swap, we had to improvise.
we used something to stuck the flywheel so it wouldn't turn (with the engine on the ground) kind of like a brace that goes into the teeth of the Fw and is held onto the ground.
then we rotated the pulley bolt and it came out.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The "tool" to do it is a flywheel holder. It is a funky looking wrench that grabs the flywheel teeth and a handle that you can hold it in place with. Then one person holds the flywheel holder and the other uses a breaker bar on the crank bolt.

If you don't havea flywheel holder you can mabe rent one if there is a local parts store that rents them.
Or and air gun will work if you can get your hands on one of those. (PS, a small air compressor will work with a impact gun, but will empty fast if you are contantly using it. They are not badly priced at places like Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Sears etc.)
If you cannot get a air gun then you will need to wedge something like BByBlue said. Although that will be hard with it in the air.

Good luck.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”