Code 03? HEI mod

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Wino

Code 03? HEI mod

Post by Wino »

I did the Hei mod on the car and now code 03 -distrib circuit - is present and the check engine light stays on in the car. So is this normal when doing the Hei mod? or is teir some way to fix it?

Wino
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I had no problems. Check all your connections, and that you spliced into the correct wires, and cut the correct ones.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Did you do just the HEI or the HEI and external coil. Either way did you open the distributor and take it apart and remove the pin connecting the module to the Coil.If thats still intact your gettin signals from both modules which will confuse the ecm.

also you got good grounds on the HEI module.How does the car run does it seem fine
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

you only have to open the disty if you do the HEI + external coil mod.
NOT if you just do the HEI mod, then you just cut the wire going to the internal ignitor module.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

nope-mx3 wrote:you only have to open the disty if you do the HEI + external coil mod.
NOT if you just do the HEI mod, then you just cut the wire going to the internal ignitor module.

nope-mx3
Not true, You can get away without dissconnecting the 6 pin wire but as for the connection inside, you must dissconnect. You will have two signals going out, thats if the module works. Let us know if you removed the strap inside.
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
Wino

Post by Wino »

I am going to do the coil this week as well, I didnt cut the wire.
I will do that tommorrow.
Thats the trouble
Zloca

Post by Zloca »

Couple a questions: what and why is better option, just hei or hei and external coil?
Could i put hei in every engine for mx-3, or is there some version of engine where i cannot use hei. I have 1.8 V6 24v, and my engine number begin with K8. i saw on forum there is KLZE, KFZE.. etc. Don`t know what`s my model. I can`t translate very well, so can`t understand everything (sorry!! :help: ). One guy say to me that i cannot put hei on my engine. :shock:
So... Please mx-3.com PIMP MY RIDE!! :roll:
Wino

Post by Wino »

Good question
Mine is the same and I have not had any troubles yet.
I am wating on a coil tower to come in now

Anybody have troubles with Hei on K8 engines?

Wino
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

MX3 GSR for dummies wrote:
nope-mx3 wrote:you only have to open the disty if you do the HEI + external coil mod.

nope-mx3
Not true, You can get away without dissconnecting the 6 pin wire but as for the connection inside, you must dissconnect. You will have two signals going out, thats if the module works. Let us know if you removed the strap inside.
you dont have to cut anything inside unless your doing ex coil, just have to cut the coil wire on teh 6 pin connecter. At least thats how im running,(directions from more than one source) and its been running great.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”