Big problem!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Zloca

Big problem!!!

Post by Zloca »

Hi!
I`m a new face in this forum. My name is Zoran, i`m from Serbia. My english is bad, but i hope we can understand eachother.
If i`m send this in a wrong room, please move it to the right place.
So, i drive mx-3, 1.8 V6 24v. `93. year. 8)

... and i have a big problem. :?
Last 10 days, while i`m riding car turn off engine alone. This turning off is connected with rpm, i think. Everything is normal on low rpm, (<2500rpm), and when i go above 2500-3000 rpm 5-6 sec (in any gear) it just sudenly shot down engine like i turn the key off. When this happend, i can`t turn it on a that moment, because it`s look like i don`t have a petrol. After half a minute car turn on like nothing happen :shock:
In zero gear (don`t know right word :oops:) same thing is happen, only at 3500-4000 rpm and when i hold it constantly 5-6 sec.
Beside that, car work just fine, easy start engine etc.
If anybody knows what is the problem, or suspect on something...
Thanks!
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

i cant help you with your problem, never heard of that happening before. sound like maby your ecu might be the problem.

but i can help others understand your question..

Whenever your engine goes over 2500 rpm for more then a few seconds it shuts off.

This happens in all gears, including neutral.

Also, do you have a automatic or manual transmittion?

Bochek
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

It sounds like it is fuel related. I know that if the pump is not keeping up it will cut out and this is what would be my first guess. But I may be wrong. Rev up the car in "Zero gear" and have someone look to see if the smoke out of the exhaust is white. If so it would seem you are out of petro. If it is normal or black, your fuel is ok and it may be something else like an air leak in your intake. Cheack that for cracks. Let us know what you find. Good luck and I hope you understand. I understood you very well! Cheers. By the way, "Zero gear" is called neutral.
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Could be your ignition module crapping out like usual, although thats not usually rpm related..but still could be. WHen that happens your car will just shut off out of no where..then after a lil bit you can start it back up. but it will always happen again. NExt time it shuts down, have a friend with you. get out as soon as u can(before it starts working again) and pull a spark plug wire and hold it near the motor or a bolt as he cranks it. if no spark jumps the gap..its most likly the Ig module.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Check spark plugs for black or burned ends. Check fuel pump relay for it turning off at the RPM you said. Also, check that the fuel pump with a fuel pressure guage. The guage will tell you if the pump is pushing fuel at all RPMs.

I bet you have a fuel pump issue.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
andy

Post by andy »

Bad distributor. Same thing happened to me, anything above 3000 rpm and it would shut off. It would always start right back up .
There is a mod to fix it without replacing the distributor. search for the HEI mod. I think there is a sticky on it already.

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Just get a new distributor and be done with it.

Nice car BTW. Did it come stock in that yellow color? We didn't have a yellow option in the U.S.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

exact same problem I had.

Did the HEI mod, and all the problems went away.

Why pay lots of money for a new disty, when all you need is a Hei module that costs $5-25 (depending on where you get it, and wich module you get).

I paid around $25 for my Accel module.
Well worth the money imho :)

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Zloca

Post by Zloca »

First, it`s manual transmittion.
Second, i already do the test with spark jump (forget to say). Friend told me that spark didn`t jump. But, today i was do it again. So, i put in "neutral" position:roll: and run engine at 3500 rpm for about 15 sec and, naturaly, it shots off. Then, we tried to see is there spark. Friend also didn`t se it (but maybe at that moment he to it wrong). Then, i unplug connectors for distributor, looking for bad connection. Back it to the place, put back cable on spark plug, start engine and... nothing! Won`t start! (don`t know right word -cranks? - behave like it don`t have fuel). Other friend come so we tried one more time to see is there spark jumps. And it is! We tried several times and every time spark jumps! But won`t start engine :shock: .

Can you describe me that HEI mod? I don`t know what is it? Any picture? How to find one? What`s purpose of this mod?
Andy say: search for the HEI mod. I think there is a sticky on it already. - i can`t translate this :oops:

Finally, i bougth a car with that yellow paint, don`t know is it original, but if is not, they do a hell of a job!
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

With all the cranking you were doing you could of flooded the motor with fuel, crank it for a good while with the GAS pedal floored(this makes it so no fuel sprays while cranking) to clear out the cylinders. Sounds liek you need a new disty or HEI mod since sometimes u had spark and sumtimes you did not.

Also try taking out a spark plug or two and see if there soaked with fuel or not. Could stil be the pump.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

XxantwawnxX wrote: Sounds liek you need a new disty or HEI mod since sometimes u had spark and sumtimes you did not.
Yep. New distributor.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

lakersfan1 wrote:
XxantwawnxX wrote: Sounds liek you need a new disty or HEI mod since sometimes u had spark and sumtimes you did not.
Yep. New distributor.
lakersfan knows a bad ditsy when he sees one! :lol:
Zloca

Post by Zloca »

OK! Let we say it`s a distributor, or better say ignition modul. How is big problem upgrading with HEI mod? Is it necessary to change ECU along with this mod or some other parts, or everything is same?
Could you give me some links where can i find hei mod, and who are will to send parts worldwide, or better some producers in Europe?
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

You don't need a new ECU with this mod. There is an option of also putting in an external ignition coil (which I did). Pretty much, just follow these directions (I recommend soldering for the splices though). http://www.clubprotege.com/wil/howto/hei/index.htm
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”