clunking from drivers axle

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

clunking from drivers axle

Post by mitmaks »

I thought maybe my brakes/lines make this noise but no. Lifted car up and put it in first and watched it. Noise comes from where drivers side axle mounts to transmission. I dont have idea what it is. bad axle, tranny going out etc? maybe bad bearing
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Check that is it properly seated. The snap ring on the axle may have come loose from the diff in the tranny. If so you will also need to check that the tranny fuild is still full. You may have dumped it if the axle came loose.

Does it make a grinding/bumping noise when you turn one way and not the other? Not like a bad CV joint, it is usually louder and more horrifying. :wink: but not as bad as it sounds. If so, I'd say it is a loose axle. If it doesn't seem loose you may want to drain the tranny, pull the axle and check the snap ring. Also look for wear or score marks around the splined shaft and snap ring groove. We want to make sure that the diff is not harming the axle nor harmed by the axle.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

only does it when turning left at most speeds I can hear it. Also when driving like 5-10mph in parking lot can hear it clunking, pretty loud
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
yvan

Post by yvan »

mazda has a TSB or technincal service bulletin on this issue,

#008/92

cause by excess clearance between the wheel bearing and steering knuckle. which cause the bearing to shift in the steering knuckle,

problem occure duing walking speed / tight turning..

yep, i have this issue too but i'm not too worry about it, its just annoying plus you gotta replace the wheel bearing.. the new bearing have been modify to solve this problem,
93' blue mx-3, klze curve neck, kl36ecu, all the upgrade possible/out turbo.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”