Shifter bolt

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
den

Shifter bolt

Post by den »

I got a short shifter and I wanted to install it. So I crawled under the car, Remove the nut on the stock shifter rod's lower end. The nut came off but the damn bolt is stucked. It turns if I turn it with a wrech but it just wont come off. I already sprayed it with some WD40. What's with that stupid bolt? Why does it not want to come off? Any suggestion from those who had the same promblem as this.

THANKS!
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 5 speed
Reverse glow gauge, Custom CAI, Cross drilled rotors. Toucan front strut tower bar, Custom circular ground wires, Custom exhaust w/ stainless oval dual tip muffler, Custom blue turn indicator lights on gauge panel and switches, performance steering wheel, Pacesetter short shifter
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

wd40 is useless for automotive bolts, get some liquid wrench or pb blaster... a little prying, and maybe hit the end of the bolt ..if you can with such little space. just get mad, it'll go
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Exactly. Get Mad. Before you go wailing on it with a hammer brace the back side of the shifter rod with a block of wood or something to hold it still while you try to tap the end of the bolt. If you can get the threaded end flush pry on the head end with some pliars or a screwdriver and just know that your knuckles will be blody.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

You could try loosening everything to relieve the tightened tension.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Just pull it out. No big deal. Fair dinkum, running to the internet saying "help" ain't gonna do jack ********moderated********. Most people would just do it. Not whine about it. Its held in by plastic ***FSS***. Use multigrips. They worked perfectly when I had that problem. Less than 2 minutes. Certainly less than going on-line to ask.

There's lots of sayings of course, but one I like is:

"God helps those who help themselves".

So fuckink try ok?
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
den

Post by den »

Believe it or not I tried evarything to get it out but it just wont come out, that's why I asked. I used everytools I have in my tool box and I have 2 blood clot on my finger nails but still wont come off. All I was asking was some tips from those who had the same problem.
two minutes?
hahaha you wouldn't say that if you there have as much road salt here in Canada.

I f---in tried, ok? WTF is wrong with you. are you having menstrual period or something? Or its just part of getting OLD? :) I was just asking not whining, and I wasn't forcing you to answer it. If you dont feel like answering my question then just shut up. That would be better, wont it? :D

Anyway thanks for the help guys.

P.S. Grants made me MAD and I think now I can pull that stupid bolt out. :D
Last edited by den on April 7th, 2006, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reverse glow gauge, Custom CAI, Cross drilled rotors. Toucan front strut tower bar, Custom circular ground wires, Custom exhaust w/ stainless oval dual tip muffler, Custom blue turn indicator lights on gauge panel and switches, performance steering wheel, Pacesetter short shifter
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

den wrote: P.S. Grants made me MAD and I think now I can pull that stupid bolt out. :D
Grants works in mysterious ways

:P
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I had the exact same problem. I sprayed it with pb blaster and waited about 5 min and than put some vice grips on it and was able to wiggle it out.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
bulaian

Post by bulaian »

first time i had to do it, i had to wrench on it pretty hard with some pliers to get it out.... few mins of muscle-ing and twisting worked though
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

This thread makes Baby Jesus Cry. :lol:
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
den

Post by den »

Finally I managed to pull it out. The stupid bolt had a rust build up it the middle. And because I hammered it to get it out I broke the thread. Damn it. I think I can easily fix it by cutting the bolt where the damaged thread is. There's still gonna be like half of the thread left to hold the nut.

Thanks dudes!

Baby Jesus is now happy! :D
precidian

Post by precidian »

just buy a new bolt from the dealer... and when you install it, apply a bit of anti-seize compound. Not worth the hassle trying to reuse a bolt like that..
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I went through the same with mine buit it comes out after some time.I had buaghtin a bolt ahead of time at the dealer becausde i knew it was gunna be like that. The bolt and nut is not muich anyways
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
gregair13

Post by gregair13 »

try turning it to the left instead of the right
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

:2thumbsup: Well done! Nothing like a bit of motivation! :D
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”