Sanity check, please!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
petekav

Sanity check, please!

Post by petekav »

Not sure if I'm imagining it, but it seems like my engine has a lot more power than it did two days ago.
In the 2750-4250rpm range it seems to have much more "push" than it did before, and pick-up throughout the rev range seems improved.
When I got home today I opened the bonnet/hood, blipped the throttle, and saw a VRIS actuator move which I don't remember seeing move before.

The possibilities are:
a) this VRIS actuator has just freed itself up after years of under-use, and now I am enjoying the engine at its best (but wouldn't a failed VRIS activate the CEL???)
b) the VRIS actuator always worked, and I have just noticed it for the first time now. Some other part of the engine is suddenly working a lot better. Maybe I've got a particularly potent batch of super unleaded in the tank right now?

I have owned the car for 6 months, and done 6K miles (car now on 75K). The CEL has never been on (although if the bulb was gone, would I know???). I have a 20mile roundtrip commute weekdays, and at weekends I do a 300mile roundtrip at 70mph+.

My fear that this "performance increase" means something is about to break. Badly.

Can anyone provide a sanity check and some guidance on this please?

Thanks

Pete.
Stock '93 V6.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

well to answer one question, when you startup your car, all your dash lights flash, so you'd know if the CEL were out.

who knos about the rest...? maybe you had a strong tail wind that day =P
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I had a BIG "power" "fee" (notice the quotes) My car was actually not runnign right and was getting good power at somerpms..amazingly i managed to own tons ofn cars at the drags.. hmm i dont know this car drove me crazy and ill liveit it however it drives.. check your intake for elaks and vacuum leaks..check fpr.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Though a VRIS will throw a code if the SOLENOID is bad, it won't generate if the VRIS butterfly itself is stuck.

Anyways, VRIS shouldn't throw a code on the CEL unless you go into diagnostics mode. Only select CEL codes will actually generate a CEL when you're not in diagnostics mode, and most of those are errors that would greatly effect the operation of the vehicle ...... i.e. crank position sensor or cam position sensor.
petekav

Post by petekav »

Forgive my stupidty, but where exactly is the CEL?

I just turned my key to the "ON(II)" position, and most of the lights came on:
Charging system, Oil Pressure, Brakes & Stop Light (in fact the entire RHS group, all red). On the LHS the ABS light comes on (orange), and by acitivating the car's lighting I am able to get the Hazard Warning and Rear Fog indicators to come on too.
This leaves one gap - the Mazda manual I have says it is the HOLD indicator; since I have manual transmission I'm not to stressed by this!

I can't find any mention of the "Check Engine" light in the manual. I have a 93 European RHD car.

Thanks
Stock '93 V6.
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

On my car (96 1.8l Canadian) it is the top left light and is orange. How do i know, cause its been on steady for 2 years. :lol:
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Usually it's a picture of an engine or the actual word 'Engine'. Something along those lines.
petekav

Post by petekav »

The Mazda Owner's Manual I have (8B88-EE-91E) simply doesn't show a CEL. It does show RHD and LHD models. The top left inidicator on the LHD is apparently Low Washer Fluid... :roll:

Maybe European MX-3 (like Japanese ones?) don't have a CEL on the dash cluster, and you have to wire your own LED in???
Stock '93 V6.
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

There is some info in this post on how to get codes from a ZE ecu, which is j-spec. I know they don't have cel lights either, so you may be able to check for codes the same way. You would just have to read through it and give it a try. Let us know how things work out though.

Here it is.
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... ight=codes
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping
petekav

Post by petekav »

Having done further testing I believe that I am suffering from intermittant flat-spots caused by the VRIS only partially working. This is particularly noticeable when the engine is cold.

Any suggestions on what to lubricate the VRIS rods and connecting arms with? WD40?

Pete.
Stock '93 V6.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”