Just got an mx-3 where do I start??

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
5speedMX

Just got an mx-3 where do I start??

Post by 5speedMX »

I just got a '94 mx-3 5-speed with the 1.6 dohc I4 engine. I'm want to do some modification to it but I'm not looking to do any major mods. (engine replacement etc.) right now. Where would you guys suggest I start. It's all stock right now. It's got about 117,000 miles. I got it for 2k. It's the first car I i've owned personally and I love it!!!
It ain't done 'til it's done right.
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

tough choice with a little engine like that.

cams, pulleys, cold air intake, suspension, nitrous, exhaust, headers, that pretty much sums up your options.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

isnt the body of mx3s so sexy ? :D
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Fergy_97

Post by Fergy_97 »

I just got my MX-3 about 3 months ago, I was also looking at some more minor mod's. Last month I put in an exhaust system and cold air intake.

Have to start somewhere I guess. :)
93 GS SE Mazda MX-3
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

First off, congrats on gettiing one. Some mods you might wanna consider are: euro gauges, rims, and of course... Mazdaspeed style front bumper, side skirts and rear mud guards as well as getting her dropped a little. Hope this helps and welcome to our family here.
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

As a auto cross racer go from the ground up tires rims suspentions brakes then engine.
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I would start by making a cold air intake. They are cheap to make and a fun mod. Next I would do the suspension. Get some rims and tires. Lastly maybe a long ways down the road start looking into the bp swap. Perhaps find a gs spoiler or front lip. I think the look of a mx-3 lowered is pretty sexy and doesnt need to be ruined with body kits.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

Welcome my friend! The very best thing to do is read some old posts about the same question you just asked. You'll find a ton of good info.
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Welcome my friend! The very best thing to do is read some old posts about the same question you just asked. You'll find a ton of good info.

What MX-3 Money says is true. Had it not been for the almost unlimited resources me and a many other fellow MXers have found here on this forum........I doubt alot of us would have our MX-3s hooked up the way we do.

Enjoy!
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Personally, I say who cares and follow the order you want. Here's the jist of the order I did

- Deck and Underglow neons
- Amp and subs
- CarPC*
- Front and Rear Strut bars
- KLZE
- 2.5" Exhaust and Magnaflo muffler
- Cold-Air Intake
- Rims
- Headers and Brakes
- Paint and Body Kit
- High-Flow Cat

*Technically a never-ending project which has gone though many revisions over the years.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Personally, I say who cares and follow the order you want. Here's the jist of the order I did

- Deck and Underglow neons
- Amp and subs
- CarPC*
- Front and Rear Strut bars
- KLZE
- 2.5" Exhaust and Magnaflo muffler
- Cold-Air Intake
- Rims
- Headers and Brakes
- Paint and Body Kit
- High-Flow Cat

*Technically a never-ending project which has gone though many revisions over the years.
Well personally I think your priorities are a little messed up. Neons are first on the list and a pc for your car? ZE would be near the top and the rest of the bottem half of your list too. I guess it depends if you want all show and no go first or just lots of go. lol
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

ya, my priorities were funky, but that's the thing, there is no set list, it all depended on situation.

A ze wasn't at the top of the list cause I barely knew what it was, i was just learning stick and i still though the K8 was fast. The neons was part of the fast and the furious fad, which i still love how they accent the car. The carpc was a project that I as able to do myself because I'm not mechanically inclined, but i know electronics/electric very well, so i started with something I knew. However, I will mention that i got the ZE swap just over a year after i first bought my mx-3
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
5speedMX

Post by 5speedMX »

thankx for all the replies. I think I'm gonna start by building A CAI. Then probably a muffler (I hate looking at that little muffler stickin' out the back) and exhaust. I don't want to install a bunch of stuff on this engine that won't work with a new engine if I swap so I'll probably stick to modifying looks for now
It ain't done 'til it's done right.
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

All of my moddes I am doing can be changed out to the KL-ZE just so I wont lose any money. :wink:
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”