burning oil

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Captain Clint

burning oil

Post by Captain Clint »

I put on a new cone filter. Now it seems as the car is burning more oil. and it has a black smoke at high revs. Is it from the new filter or is there something else wrong. How do i solve this problem?
max kl

Post by max kl »

you may have changed your driving habbits aressive driving burns more oil and you wanting to hear the intake would lead you to drive harder

oil buring makes white ish blue smoke black smoke is from a rich mixture

its normal to use 1 quart every 3000 miles unless you race at every stoplight then 1 quart every 1000 miles is more like it

1 more thing if you messed with the crankcase vent and restricted it some how the engine will leak oil much faster
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

max kl wrote:you may have changed your driving habbits aressive driving burns more oil and you wanting to hear the intake would lead you to drive harder

oil buring makes white ish blue smoke black smoke is from a rich mixture

its normal to use 1 quart every 3000 miles unless you race at every stoplight then 1 quart every 1000 miles is more like it

1 more thing if you messed with the crankcase vent and restricted it some how the engine will leak oil much faster

don't mean to sound like a prick but if your car is leaking or burning oil on a regualer basis then SOMTHING IS WRONG!!!!! your car shouldn't be leaking oil at all ya minor loses is present as the oil begins to break down but not at that amount or rate i think you need to change your driving habits aswell.

my car was leaking oil for a bit one thing to look at is remove a spark plug wire and check for any oil around or on the plug, our cars are known to kill valve cover gaskets more so if it's the one put on from the factory. go to canadian tire or autozone (depending on were your from) and get some form a gasket sealent. (higher the temp range the better example a product i got from permaplex: ultra copper opperating range of -46F to 700F) pull off your valve cover scrap off the old gasket and run a nice bead of the sealent were the old gasket was (make sure you get a good bead around were the spark plugs sit in) and then plop the cover back on wait a hour then you should be good to go.

Reaper
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

First off.. using a quart of oil every 3000 miles is NOT normal. If you are burning oil.. its because either your valve seals or your rings are shot and are no longer doing their jobs properly. Most likely its your valve seals. You can find more information on burned valves and valve seal failure using the search function. Trust me.. having been there a year ago.. if your burning oil.. its only a matter of time before it becomes more serious.

Tunes67

Oh and for the record... I run royal purple synthetic oil in my MX-3 DOHC 1.6L RS and I dont loose a drop of oil between oil changes at every 3500 miles.
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
max kl

Post by max kl »

saying sumtn is wrong is a strech. but worn yea. engines do wear for a long time before they break. and i forget north texas has much more exterme driving conditons than most places on the planet. the lube side of my shop sees 300 cars a week and its rare to see one come in full of oil [not loosing a drop]
1 quart every 3000 miles is a general giude line we go buy and if the car is regularrly using more oil than that we recomend diagnosis.

but if you want a perfect engine than shure rebiuld it every 30-60k miles mabe if your time is free and you have a lot of it
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
150 shot
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

saying sumtn is wrong is a strech.
And this is exactly why I dont let lube shops touch my cars. Burning a quart of oil every 3k miles IS something wrong. Yes your car will continue to run and probably for quite sometime. But.. when it does eventually fail.. the repairs will be costly. Preventive maintenance such as replacing your valve seals BEFORE you end up with burned valves can save you a lot of cash. Btw.. a single exaust valve costs anywhere from $15 to $30 depending where you buy them. Since you need 8 of them.. thats $120-$240 for just the valves. This isnt even taking into account the cost of other parts or even labor to a mechanic or machinist. A set of valve seals costs less than $20 and a new valve cover gasket is about $25. And.. you dont have to rebuild your engine to replace them.

This isnt about having a perfect engine.. this is about making your engine last as long as it can and keeping repair costs at a minimum.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
max kl

Post by max kl »

did we scare off captin clint? all this jabbering over a piont of veiw and the dude askn for help is gone

o yea i wont let any shop touch my s--- ither mabe my ex wifescar
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

150 shot
Captain Clint

Post by Captain Clint »

Thanks for all the advice. I agree, To get it fixed before it costs big bucks. So i should look at my value seals to start with. And it is not only from the cone filter. Thanks.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”