new muffler too much bass coming through the car

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
nicksmx3

new muffler too much bass coming through the car

Post by nicksmx3 »

my new muffler when i take the silencer off is way too bassy and the sound come through the trunk how do i fix this, if its just deadening material where exactly do i lay it done if anyone has pictures of how they did this please post em. thank you
Devilhog

Post by Devilhog »

Buy enough mat to completly cover your floor from pedals to back hatch. Problem solved. But remember our car has a ton of glass so you will never have it as quiet as other cars on the inside.

Its pretty simple to apply the mat, most come with a sticker like glue with a plastic pull off sheet. Ohh and make sure your doing it in a warm place, cause the mat doesnt like to shape or stick to the floor if its -10 out ;) (heat gun works good to get by that problem)
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

or you could just add a resonator to your exhaust to quiet it down!!
Danny

Post by Danny »

I just put some Dynamat in my car, it rocks. I only use one box of it, which didn't even cover my whole trunk, and I notice a difference. Eventually, I will have the whole inside of my car completely doucle layered, it helps alot with keeping road and exhaust noise out, and from system rattling both inside and out.
nicksmx3

Post by nicksmx3 »

i got a shop i have a heat gun and everything how much is it for a box of dynomat, im too lazy to rip out my seats and my carpet and everything. i dont want a resonator because its a nice sounding muffler just like all the expensive ones you hear its the same decibles and everything just im right over it and i have to listen to it right under met rather themn listening to someone across the road with one.
Danny

Post by Danny »

You don't need a heat gun, he said that only if it's really cold for it to stick, I think. I never used one. It's really simply to apply, just peel the backing and lay it down over your desired area. They also sell rollers to help roll it out smothly, and into and creveces (and it does), but me and my friend just used a really small paint roller without the fuzzy thing, works perfect. And the cost, well my friend works where they sell some, and I got his discount which made mine only 30ish a box, but reg is 90ish.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Devilhog wrote:Buy enough mat to completly cover your floor from pedals to back hatch. Problem solved. But remember our car has a ton of glass so you will never have it as quiet as other cars on the inside.

Its pretty simple to apply the mat, most come with a sticker like glue with a plastic pull off sheet. Ohh and make sure your doing it in a warm place, cause the mat doesnt like to shape or stick to the floor if its -10 out ;) (heat gun works good to get by that problem)
Actually you don't have to cover every square inch. 4" wide stripe about 6" apart are just as effective at damping resonance frequencies.

A lot of that cabin boomy resonance is actually caused by the exhaust gases exiting the tip at too high of velocity. If the tip of the muffler end under the body of the car you will have a lot more cabin resonace than if the tip end about an 1" past the bumper. The best way to reduce the exhaust gas velocity is to cool it. This dumps heat and sonic energy. To cool the exhaust gases the simplest and most effective way to do this is to make it expand is a chambers resonator. This has an additional benefit where you create a low pressure zone in the resonator which creates a vacuum in the pipe between the engine and resonator which helps to extract more power from your engine at the same time as lowering the exhaust SPL.
Devilhog

Post by Devilhog »

Hey im just a crazy Canadian n00b :wink: I got the mat for cheap so I did my whole floor. Ya and the only reason why I had to use a heatgun was cause I did it in a shop with no heat and it was cooooold :D
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

dynamat will actually give you a better seal and hold if you do heat it up thats how it was designed to work granted you don't have to heat it if you don't want to it just it will last longer if its heated when its first applyed just my two cents

reaper
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
jnic

Post by jnic »

where do I buy dynamat?
Billyd

Post by Billyd »

did you ever find out where to buy it? I would assume any parts store?
mx3monster

Post by mx3monster »

You can find it at future shop....your best bet is Visions Electronics, or best buy...depending where you live I guess. I have the exact same problem. my muffler roars my entire car, i think 'll give the Dnyomat a shot and see how it works
Billyd

Post by Billyd »

thanks! I have a BestBuy near so I will check there.
Carmaster2005

Post by Carmaster2005 »

Spray on sound deadner works just as well but requires alot of coats to reach the same effect. But the advantage is you can spray it just about everwhere, inside cracks ect. I Plan on sound insulating my whole car soon i have already done the doors with sprayon sound deadner and noticed a big drop in outside noise.
Drive Fast,Hit the nitrous,Enjoy the ride :)
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

best buy is your best shot i work there and we get it in all the time and we can order it in as well.

the spry on deadener is good and easier to use but to get the same effect as dynamat you do need to spend a lot more but i've used it in the past for door panles and trunk lids it is great for places you can't get to with the mat. also it does make a good sealer!!!
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”