probe header?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
projectmx316

probe header?

Post by projectmx316 »

i have heard u can use a ford pobe 2.0 header will fit the 1.6 dohc if it can what kinda benifits do u get from it.
max kl

Post by max kl »

yes the ports almost match i was able to grind the header inlet and get a nice match a few of the bolt holes line up but you have to re drill most of the bolt holes. we ran it in a 323 on a 1.6 dohc from a 94 mx3 it definatly ran better than the stock mantafold with a gutted cat nice mid range torque and power till rev. limmiter hit. o and the outlet flange is probe 626 only it is not a common bolt pattern so get the down pipe from the 2.0
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Its so creepy seeing you talk about my 323 in that way...

We used a stock 2.0 tubular header (they varied pending year range they later changed it to a cast) and had good results. I konw some people speak herseay but i wish i had dynoed the before and after. Just about anything is better than the stock 1.6 DOHC manifold.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
projectmx316

Post by projectmx316 »

dont the probe headers have a 4-1 design wich its a 2 pieace
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

The main benefit of these header is looks, and a loss of low end torque which the human body translates as a increase in power because the torque curve has changed. I have done marketing with several aftermatket parts companies and the way the human mind works helps to sell parts. In the imoprt market where looks is everything the parts can do absolutely nothing but as long as they change the sound, create a dip in the power curve at the right rpm and look fast because "bigger is better" your wallet gets lighter and the company bottom line gets greener. I've seen dyno tests were the stock cast iron manifold out performs many aftermatket headers and just for this reason and guys say they didn't do a before and after run because they are embarassed to say they spent all that money and loss power.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Yoda wrote:The main benefit of these header is looks, and a loss of low end torque which the human body translates as a increase in power because the torque curve has changed. I have done marketing with several aftermatket parts companies and the way the human mind works helps to sell parts. In the imoprt market where looks is everything the parts can do absolutely nothing but as long as they change the sound, create a dip in the power curve at the right rpm and look fast because "bigger is better" your wallet gets lighter and the company bottom line gets greener. I've seen dyno tests were the stock cast iron manifold out performs many aftermatket headers and just for this reason and guys say they didn't do a before and after run because they are embarassed to say they spent all that money and loss power.
Well shucks. How about showing me the Dynos of where a probe 2.0 stock tubular manifold is out performed by a Cast maniold on a b6-de that dumps into a 3in cat within about 5 inches of exiting the motor?

To elaborate on the idea though, yes most of the modifications you will do to a car will come with trade offs. Set your goal, pick your powerband and tune your motor for it. It is possible yes to lose low end power and not gain any on the high end, but it is also possible to lose low end and gain high end as well.

This of course all is bench racing anyways given there are quite a few varabiles in anyones setup that will drastically effect the utility and useful ness of a probe Header vs a stock one.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
projectmx316

Post by projectmx316 »

well im trying to goe for mid to high end. I would still like to see if the probe header is better than the cast that is on the 1.6 dohc. If it does give a goo result then it would be worth modding to fit the set up im going for. It should work good with my setup cause i have a 2.25 inch down pipe back system.
max kl

Post by max kl »

if you want to find out than try it your self. the point of the probe / 626 header is it is a cheap part with oe quality and plentifull o yea i would get the probe header / down pipe and another stock down pipe for your car so you can merge the to down pipes with out cutting your stock one . that way if you dont like it the stock s--- bolts back on.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

projectmx316 wrote:well im trying to goe for mid to high end. I would still like to see if the probe header is better than the cast that is on the 1.6 dohc. If it does give a goo result then it would be worth modding to fit the set up im going for. It should work good with my setup cause i have a 2.25 inch down pipe back system.

Personally i am no fan of the stock manifold design as stated above it dumps into a cat rather quickly, this will play hell on the velocity of the exsaust gasses.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”