VRIS Solenoids in Turbo Application

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Tommy D

VRIS Solenoids in Turbo Application

Post by Tommy D »

One thing has been bugging me for a while...

I had probs with my VRIS solenoids when i did my swap bacause the vaccum source pipe on the belt side of the engine wasnt connected to the I/M and on the other side the vaccum chambers under I/M.

When engine is running there is a vaccum in the I/M because of air displacement on a piston induction stroke. This vaccum under accel or load is the vaccum source that operates the VRIS solenoids. However if you turbo your engine, there will no longer be a vaccum in the IM under boost, but instead the opposite. Therefore the solenoids wont open.

How do we keep the solenoids working? or do you jam them open in Turbo application? as im sure they do something internally?

Cheers
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Ive did a lil reseach on this and ive found that the best option is th etie both vris sols open . now thats the directions i keep getting from people (i did get others like tie one open or whatever). although both seemed to produced better results.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

A local Probe guy here when we did his turbo... removed the VRIS flaps because they caused restriction.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Custommx3 wrote:A local Probe guy here when we did his turbo... removed the VRIS flaps because they caused restriction.
DynoLabs here in Georgia built a turbo kl03 motor and they did teh same thing removed the flaps and they also found a box that would plug into the vaf to eliminate that
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

same here I removed everything related to the vris and welded the holes shut!
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

I hear you can use MSnS to control when the flaps open...so just have MSnS to overide the flaps and keep them open under boost(3000 or so rpm depending on alot of factors)

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

Would there be a power difference between having the flaps permanently open and having them completely closed off?
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Accorind to people if your valves are closed while you under go boost you will hamper pefomance.

max kl

Post by max kl »

if your vacume reservoirs do noy leak and the ckeck valve workes the virs will still work. there is very little vacume in the im at wot with a na motor the check valve keeps vacume in the reservoirs to maintain virs opperation
on a stock set up.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

babyblueMX3 wrote:same here I removed everything related to the vris and welded the holes shut!
Would this be considered open or closed?
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Open..he took the valves out.

PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

What about that little hose that runs under the manifold. Also v ris related what do you do with that one. Or will it be all good as long as the silenoids stay open.
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
blackops032
BANNED Member

Post by blackops032 »

it will be fine as long as the solenoids stay open. or just remove them

Return to “Forced Induction”