weird overheating problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
tintdude69

weird overheating problem

Post by tintdude69 »

Ok so my car started overheating about 4 days after my kl swap. The coolant is full, the thermostat is opening, and the belt is spinning the waterpump. There is no leaking. The problem is the upper hose going to the filler neck has alot of pressure in it and is really hot yet the lower house from the thermostat housing is cool and empty and if i squeeze it you can hear it girggling in the engine. sometimes after i do that the temp goes down. i took off the thermostat and checked it in water to make certain and it opens. to me it seems like the pump is shot just because that filler neck goes down into the pump and that hose is staying hard and full. but on the other hand it dont seem right that if the pumps spinning it should still be pumping. any opinions would be great
92Gs....Its just stock, well i guess there may be a few extra liters in it...
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

well rev the engine and if water spins when u remove thermostat it mwans its working..could be a clogged radiator. hmm seems more like a water pump. make sure the thermo is not getting stuck closed. are your fans turning on?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
tintdude69

Post by tintdude69 »

when i pulled the thermostat i started it and reved it and nothing came out at all...which strikes me as odd because there was coolant coming into the pump and and behind the pump. the coolant does flow from the pass side to the driver side correct... because i know some cars flow bassackwards
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

this one flows forward meaning water comes oiut of the waterpump and into the radiator... its not normal for water not to flow
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
tintdude69

Post by tintdude69 »

so your saying that it comes into the engine from the lower hose past the thermostat into the engine and then the water pump pumps it up into the filler neck and ito the upper rad hose into the radiator correct?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”