Can a turbo be bad for an engine

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Brainless

Can a turbo be bad for an engine

Post by Brainless »

I wanna put a turbo in my car but before I start to search for the parts or anything, I want to know there is a danger for the the engine or anything else. Is that legal here in quebec?<P>------------------<BR>Brainless<BR>93 Red RS<BR><A HREF="http://www.Geocities.com/j_micho" TARGET=_blank>geocities.com/j_micho</A> <B>(last update 07-09-2001)</B>
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
RanMan

Re: Can a turbo be bad for an engine

Post by RanMan »

There should not be any damage to your engine as long as you don't use an extreme amount of boost. I would say that anywhere from 4-6 lbs of boost would be about the most you would want to go without any major modifications (on a 4-cyl). I had a Supra turbo that had a turbo that put out about 6lbs max and 6 lbs made a HUGE difference. You would have to run the HIGHEST octane fuel you could get (to help prevent pinging). As to whether it is legal...not sure, but I would think so as long as it was done right and passed emissions (if Canada HAS emissions tests).
Manach

Post by Manach »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RanMan:<BR><STRONG>There should not be any damage to your engine as long as you don't use an extreme amount of boost. I would say that anywhere from 4-6 lbs of boost would be about the most you would want to go without any major modifications (on a 4-cyl). I had a Supra turbo that had a turbo that put out about 6lbs max and 6 lbs made a HUGE difference. You would have to run the HIGHEST octane fuel you could get (to help prevent pinging). As to whether it is legal...not sure, but I would think so as long as it was done right and passed emissions (if Canada HAS emissions tests).</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>We got emissions tests.. Don't worry about that. I think Quebec got lots of rules which are from time to time... Weird.<P>Manach
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
Ramfis Mx3

Post by Ramfis Mx3 »

The most important thing is having that low preasure (lbs) if you are not going to change pistons and you should have a good setted, like fuel and stuff. ;)
Manach

Post by Manach »

Brain, ever saw the drag race at Lucksville? (30 minutes from Aylmer). On the trials, there are lots of mechanics, which could give you a hand with your Turbo question. Well, if it is street legal in Quebec.<P>Not too many Mx-3 there, even then, none race. Mine was sitting next to the track and watching the car go fast ;) (Just got it by then).<P>Isn't there suppose to be some race shop like SpeedStyle or something around your place? They might help.<P>Ohh well.<P>Manach
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

This should probably be on the V6 Technical/Performance board instead of here.
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

First of all, my car is a i4. Second, my question was about general turbo and not only about putting a turbo on my 93 mx-3 RS. <P>Are you a moderator?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew Pakula:<BR><STRONG>This should probably be on the V6 Technical/Performance board instead of here.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Yes, a turbo can destroy your engine. It can also not have any affect on the life of the motor. Tuning is key.<P>Watch the flames...<P><B><I>Post moved to 4cyl performance forum</B></I>
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”