Wide body front fender info for those who asked.

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Yoda

Wide body front fender info for those who asked.

Post by Yoda »

I didn't realize that there was a messaging feature to this board until someone that has my email address sent me an email pointing it out. I have received several question for more information about the wide body fenders I mentioned in a post else were. Unfortunately this is not a commercially manufactured item. They are actually a set of OEM steel fenders widen by 2.5" along the lines of the of the Focus RS fenders. I started getting back into sheetmetal fabrication a couple years ago after a break of about 15 years. I basically cut off the wheel arch then screwed and tacked welded it into the desired position with small sheetmetal straps. Once this was done I had to make a few pie cuts to bend the remaining original metal into the general shape. Filler panels were formed using basic shrinking and stretching techniques and tacked in place. The hardest part of the whole process is making double compound curves. Once the shape was finallized all the seams were stitch welded to avoid warpage and hammered flat. All the welds were ground flat so very little filler was required. Also removed the rear quarter panels off the same donor car to do the rear as well one day.

Sorry no pics right now. Like a lot of my colection of parts they are stored in a out building on my friends property down near the Canada/ VT border.
Neil

Re: Wide body front fender info for those who asked.

Post by Neil »

Yoda wrote:I didn't realize that there was a messaging feature to this board until someone that has my email address sent me an email pointing it out. I have received several question for more information about the wide body fenders I mentioned in a post else were. Unfortunately this is not a commercially manufactured item. They are actually a set of OEM steel fenders widen by 2.5" along the lines of the of the Focus RS fenders. I started getting back into sheetmetal fabrication a couple years ago after a break of about 15 years. I basically cut off the wheel arch then screwed and tacked welded it into the desired position with small sheetmetal straps. Once this was done I had to make a few pie cuts to bend the remaining original metal into the general shape. Filler panels were formed using basic shrinking and stretching techniques and tacked in place. The hardest part of the whole process is making double compound curves. Once the shape was finallized all the seams were stitch welded to avoid warpage and hammered flat. All the welds were ground flat so very little filler was required. Also removed the rear quarter panels off the same donor car to do the rear as well one day.

Sorry no pics right now. Like a lot of my colection of parts they are stored in a out building on my friends property down near the Canada/ VT border.
If you wanted to get them produced you should send them to Oscar at Pakfeifer. Wider Fenders would be freaking awsome :love:
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: Wide body front fender info for those who asked.

Post by jschrauwen »

Neil wrote: If you wanted to get them produced you should send them to Oscar at Pakfeifer. Wider Fenders would be freaking awsome :love:
I'm not sure how receptive Vaughn would be to having Oscar taking molds of the 4 fenders for mass production. I think Oscar would probably need a few guaranteed sales up front to cover intial start up fees/costs. This might even evolve into a group buy effort, of course all hinged upon Vaughn's willingness to let go of a unique MX commodity. A wide bodied MX done up right could have a whole different complexion and make for one interesting eye catching experience. A nice way to let the MX evolve to a different level. I guess we'll see.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
psyense82

Post by psyense82 »

personally vaughn... i say make this your ace up the sleeve. dont get me wrong, i love that all these guys are makin new ventures for us mxers.... but c'mon.. orginallity must stand somewheres. look what happened when people figured out the honda thing... look at cris barros air dam.... people saw it, and wanted them. i know theres so many products commin for us now, but eventually we gonna be cookie cutters in my view. its like.. you see one set up honda u seen em all. we see these cars that we trash on i.e. del sol conversions, the wide body "mcdonalds" car, the baby supra with teh flip hood and gold wire rims..... i saw rock it out. they choose to venture somewheres we didnt, yet we critisize them for bein different.

vaughn.. id keep em to yourself... make the rest of us figure it out on our own... the greastest form of flatery is imitation...

... i dont mean to offened anyone with this post... this jus summin ive wanted to get said... i think its up to the owner / fabricator, not the board and members
*note i will not be doing the rx7 hatch conversion, id rather get a BP*
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I see both sides of this.. I can understand a person wanting to make his/her car unique and to a degree, protecting their fabrication time investment into their cars. But I also think if the people are that worried about others finding out what & how they did something to their cars here on the board. Well maybe they shouldnt mention it to begin with. I mean seriously.. we are all into our cars and want to make them perform well and look cool right? Well if you designed something for a car and told everyone about it.. but then wouldnt share the knowledge on how to do it.. well.. thats no better than letting a kid lick a lollipop once and then yanking it out of his hands. Kind of selfish in my opinion. I am not pointing fingers at anyone with this statement. All I am saying is that if you dont want to share information about something.. dont mention it on the board to begin with. Thats what these forums are for if I am not mistaken.. sharing information. Just my two cents.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
psyense82

Post by psyense82 »

good point tunes...
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

IMO if you make something for your car, and someone asks for it, you eather tell them how its done, or mass produce it so that they can buy it.

Or sell the plans on how to do it

Bochek
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

i made and even sell some good ones however they are for cavalier and nobody liked them. It costs around 25 dllrs each to make of fiberglass... I still sell them to alot of cavalier owners on j-body.org and locally. its good bussiness. it would be nice to see the ones you are making :) and they sound to be of super high quality.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
onderground_mx3

Post by onderground_mx3 »

pictures???
Neil

Post by Neil »

hgallegos915 wrote:i made and even sell some good ones however they are for cavalier and nobody liked them. It costs around 25 dllrs each to make of fiberglass... I still sell them to alot of cavalier owners on j-body.org and locally. its good bussiness. it would be nice to see the ones you are making :) and they sound to be of super high quality.
If you made wider fenders not an entire wide body kit. Just wider fenders and they looked more aggressive/good.

If your price was good. Id be interested. Not trying to hi-jack Yoda's thread.
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

no im not planning on selling them for mx3 as of right now. got to much stuff to work on, my brother is taking care of that. Im sure yodas product is gonna look awesome :) i cant wait to see pics
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

You gotta realize that Yoda has been around the mx-3 community for over 8 years. He was the originator of the email list wayy before mx-3.com was even a thought. He has alot of stuff that he has made/prototyped over the years and because of non-disclosure agreements are unable to show/sell his prototypes (If I remember correctly what hes said in the past).
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Custommx3 wrote:You gotta realize that Yoda has been around the mx-3 community for over 8 years. He was the originator of the email list wayy before mx-3.com was even a thought. He has alot of stuff that he has made/prototyped over the years and because of non-disclosure agreements are unable to show/sell his prototypes (If I remember correctly what hes said in the past).
Perfectly understandable that it would be prohibitive for MX-3.com to disclose information contrary to previous agreements. The same party's that entered into those agreements, can amend those agreements. That said, it doesn't prevent the initial party from providing links or directions to acquiring specific items or information directly from themselves. Agreed that MX-3.com is unable to reveal specific details wrt Vaughn's produced/prototyped MX3 items, this does not remove the FACT that he himself (Vaughn), cannot reveal and eventually sell any of his self produced mods given that he follows all of the same procedures as other venders do on this BB. No different than Oscar selling fiberglassed reproductions of certain body kits, or Luc selling his SRD products. At least that's my take on it. Unless I've missed some other caveat that's also in place. Why does there appear to be resistance to a new found potential that can enhance and possibly improve the overall good of the membership by having yet another viable source of MX3 parts. Why not look forward and positive at the possibilities.
*my 2 pennis*
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Well, Vaughn didnt produce all of his prototypes, some companies did (again, if I understand what he has stated in the past) and he was asked to test them out. Even though he has them in hand, he cannot sell, not market them because of the agreements made by the manufacturers of such prototypes. Hopefully Vaughn will see this, respond, and clarify the details.
psyense82

Post by psyense82 »

i did not mean my post to be read as a resistance. im deffintly up for some new ideas, but what im saying is this. if you look around at the aftermarket world, orginality seems to have dissapeared in the world of most imports. the mx3 itself comes across as been a non run of the mill car in most areas, at least here in maine. i know the use of newer products would still keep the rarness of our cars, if not making them more rare.... i guess what im jus tryin to say... without being flamed or critiscized for my voice is this..... be orginal... but not cookie cut... im jus afraid if someone puts out a wide body 90% of owners are gonna jump on it... and now we all are running with wide bodies. im sorry this dont make much since... i can see what im saying in my head, and for some reason its just not comming out the way i want. ill leave this as my last post on this form subject matter, i dont wanna cause disruption on the BB or have any of the valued members that consider a family of a sort, to see me as a black sheep...

Return to “Appearance”