Potential M62 Fitment??

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Potential M62 Fitment??

Post by jschrauwen »

Saw this on Probetalk and thought I'd ask for a little speculation as to the possibility of it's fitment. Specifically, the space required between front VC and the front frame/rad top plate. Of course the rad would have to be replaced with an alternative and relocated further forward as well, the AC would also have to be removed. Your thoughts....

'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

It would never work on yours we have NO room :)

You could do like Jeff Abrams did. USe a "bearing bar" to relocate the supercharger where the stock airbox is.
rmcg5

Post by rmcg5 »

or you can get a CZ manifold and mount a super charger between the engine and the firewall.... you might have to move the brake proportioning valve..... and the wire harness and do a little creative hammer work.....
Rob McGrath
1992 Blaze Red MX-3 GS-ZE 15.5 1/4 Mi.
2005 Impreza WRX STI 12.8 1/4 Mi.
http://www.teamxxxracing.com
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

how much room does a slim line fan save you ?
and also take out the aircon shoudl give you another inch or 2 forward
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Neil

Post by Neil »

if that fits in our engine bay's without extreme modifaction id be one happy camper! :D

My gut tells me it wont though :(
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
rmcg5

Post by rmcg5 »

DavidOS wrote:how much room does a slim line fan save you ?
and also take out the aircon shoudl give you another inch or 2 forward
go to http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclengine.htm they have a good assortment of different size fans for a good price...
Rob McGrath
1992 Blaze Red MX-3 GS-ZE 15.5 1/4 Mi.
2005 Impreza WRX STI 12.8 1/4 Mi.
http://www.teamxxxracing.com
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

DavidOS wrote:how much room does a slim line fan save you ?
Probably not much, unless you get a push type and mount in front.

Scammed this pic of Pat's (Adlorin's) shaft kit for the KL engine. Obviously missing in the pic is the ducting/tubing and air filter housing. This kit will mount the previous posted M62 SC.

'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
ariesdude

Re: Potential M62 Fitment??

Post by ariesdude »

jschrauwen wrote:

That looks like it would definitely fit a 4 cyl - wonder if anyone has tried ...
Considering that every 4 cyl (i have seen) is turbo pretty much - it would be really unique to have a SC 4cyl....
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
precidian

Post by precidian »

Other option for fans would be from FAL. http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/electric-fans.html

They have both push and pull style fans.
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

ariesdude wrote:
jschrauwen wrote:
That looks like it would definitely fit a 4 cyl - wonder if anyone has tried ...
Considering that every 4 cyl (i have seen) is turbo pretty much - it would be really unique to have a SC 4cyl....
It's been done already by a guy that has done a B5-ZE swap. He pretty much bolted on an existing off the shelf kit from a company in the L.A. area that uses that same type of Eaton compressor. The only thing he fabricated was piping down to FMIC and back up to the intake manifold that wasn't even an option from the original manufacture. The last time I saw him last summer he was laying down between 166-168whp with 8psi.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

jschrauwen wrote:Saw this on Probetalk and thought I'd ask for a little speculation as to the possibility of it's fitment. Specifically, the space required between front VC and the front frame/rad top plate. Of course the rad would have to be replaced with an alternative and relocated further forward as well, the AC would also have to be removed. Your thoughts....
If you are going to remove the A/C. There is another option that I was working on back in late 1998. In my collection of machining blueprints and designs I have a complete bolt-on S/C kit designed in conjunction with several companies. It uses a compact European made industrial S/C that is just slightly larger that the OEM A/C compressor and is capable of supporting a 2.5L up to the 325-350hp mark with the right pulley ratio. In fact it just bolts up to the bosses for the A/C compressor and uses a slightly shorter accessory belt to drive the compressor and alternator. At the time the only preventing production of this kit was the oil drain on the compressor was lower the oil level in the oil pan. Later it was found that the engine oil didn't entered the S/C from the block at to high of temp for the S/C to be reliable. ATF was a better lubricant but the only sources of pressurized ATF in a MX-3 is the ATX or the P/S pump. No one involved in the project had a car with a ATX and the reservoir for the P/s was above the S/C outlet. After that the principles either sold there cars or lost interest by the spring of 2000. Recently I was looking into redeveloping the design for the FS-DE and possible the L3-VE. Over the years it seems that the S/C has also been retrofitted with its own built in lubrication system so there is none of the old placement issues that I had with the K series engines. Unfortunately the drawing and R & D photos where part of a commercial project. In the intervening years the potential sales numbers have dropped off significantly make it unlikely to recuperate even the development cost at a price people would be willing to pay these days.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

thats the exact thing i want to do! but everyone tells me its impossible, wanted to use a small mercedez supercharger in palce of the stock ac...
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “Forced Induction”