Changing CV Joints, anyone got advice?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

Changing CV Joints, anyone got advice?

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I searched, got nothing

Anway, what is the worst thing that can happen when changing CV Joints? Having the axel fall on my face? :P

I am just wondering, would changing CV Joints be hard? How many hours should it take?

Anyone have a link to any guides? I have already checked the online manual but I want to get a better idea
Last edited by Juans_93_MX3 on January 21st, 2006, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

All I can say is when doing it make sure you don't dirt or anything in any sockets. Suck as pebbles, debris , etc.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

The hardest part is getting the axle out of the tranny, and getting it back in.
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I was in the same position as you about 4 months ago. I did both of my axles by myself and had never done anything like that before. It took me alot longer than normal because i was extra careful. But overall it is very simple. The hardest part is getting your axle nut off. Take it to a shop and have them break the axle nut loose and than tighten it enough for you to get it back home. Jack her up make sure it is extra stable. Drain the tranny fluid with a 23mm socket. Take the 32mm axle nut off. Unclip the brake line from the strut. Undo the two bottom strut bolts that hold your hub assembly to the sturt. Pivet the hub on the ball joint enough to get the axle out of the hub. Than use a pry bar to get it out of the tranny. Assembly is as simple as putting it all back together. If you do the passenger side there is an intermediary shaft between the tranny and cv that is bolted to the block by 3 bolts. Take those off and than slide the entire assembly out. When putting them back in make sure the splines are extra clean. Put it all back together. IF you have any questions pm me with them

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
Macen

Post by Macen »

You don't have to drain the tranny or remove the axles, just remove the old CV joint.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

I brought it to Mazda the first time I had CV joint problems, 18 months later I had to have them replaced again. This time I took it to MIDAS (yes Midas) I remember they charged me like $300 for the job 6 years ago and thy're still in good shape today! Mazda charged me like $900.00 to replace both and 1 of them broke under waranty 2 months after they installed them! BTW- That car dealer is no longer an authorized Mazda dealer or service. Not trying to plug in Midas, but IMO it could save a lot of headaches as this is a pain in the arse job, unless you have experience and the required tools to do it properly.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

FlyVFR wrote:I brought it to Mazda the first time I had CV joint problems, 18 months later I had to have them replaced again. This time I took it to MIDAS (yes Midas) I remember they charged me like $300 for the job 6 years ago and thy're still in good shape today! Mazda charged me like $900.00 to replace both and 1 of them broke under waranty 2 months after they installed them! BTW- That car dealer is no longer an authorized Mazda dealer or service. Not trying to plug in Midas, but IMO it could save a lot of headaches as this is a pain in the arse job, unless you have experience and the required tools to do it properly.
Yeah, dealerships always screw you over unless you got a warranty
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:
FlyVFR wrote:I brought it to Mazda the first time I had CV joint problems, 18 months later I had to have them replaced again. This time I took it to MIDAS (yes Midas) I remember they charged me like $300 for the job 6 years ago and thy're still in good shape today! Mazda charged me like $900.00 to replace both and 1 of them broke under waranty 2 months after they installed them! BTW- That car dealer is no longer an authorized Mazda dealer or service. Not trying to plug in Midas, but IMO it could save a lot of headaches as this is a pain in the arse job, unless you have experience and the required tools to do it properly.
Yeah, dealerships always screw you over unless you got a warranty
In this case the dealership also got screwed by loosing their dealership with Mazda!
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

taking out the axles is easy howrver mst of the time you gotta realign your car afterwards :( Axles come out in around 15 - 30 mins and u gotta be clean .. i didnt drain the tranny so when i pulled the axle oil spilled out but my tranny was overfilled. replaced and checked fluif level and was full. My car had aot of alignment issues afterwads (also replaced bearing thats why) I went today for an alignmemt and my car still hops a bit after 70 mph hmm maybe its a bad tire or another bearing.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I got a question
Is there such thing as Axel gaskets or seals?
Since I am removing the axels, I might aswell replace the gaskets?

There called gaskets right?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Yes there is a gasket. I am not sure on the name but go to a store like autozone and tell them what you are doing and they will know exactly what you are talking about. I got one from there, and i think it cost me only like 5 bucks.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:I got a question
Is there such thing as Axel gaskets or seals?
Since I am removing the axels, I might aswell replace the gaskets?

There called gaskets right?
its called an axle seal, you will need a socket of appropriate size to hammer it in to the tranny so it seats evenly ,,,, i used a piece of PVC plumbing pipe if you have any of that laying around since you might not have a socket big enough
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

http://www.clubprotege.com/wil/howto/rightaxle/

Its a how to on changing a cv joint/axle for a protege, should be pretty much the same for a MX-3 though.
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Bolverk wrote:http://www.clubprotege.com/wil/howto/rightaxle/

Its a how to on changing a cv joint/axle for a protege, should be pretty much the same for a MX-3 though.
Thanks
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I forgot to mention something
The first 2 or 3 minutes of driving my car (in the morning after heating it up) it wont make any noise. It wont feel like I am driving on a flat. It dosent even steer to the left
However, after 2 or 3 minutes, it will start to feel like a flat and it will make the clunking/clicking noise when I am taking a right turn
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”