Interior panel painting.

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
neverender

Interior panel painting.

Post by neverender »

I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not painting your interior is a good idea. Does it chip off? or whats the deal.

neverender
95 MX-3 RS 12"TypeR, RockfordP4002bridged so far.
Chemical

Post by Chemical »

There's a thread about using actual paint on the dash.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48330

Personally I painted a dash and interior in another car of mine (old benz) and I used vinyl paint which I think might be better as it can flex,though you might be restricted in colours. Just be sure to prepare properly so the paint can have something to key onto. I did mine about 5 years ago and when I saw the car again after about 4 years it was still in remarkable order. I must say I did spend alot of time preparing and layering it and putting a clear matt sealer on.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I got a second set of dash trim/vents form Trevor and they were already prepainted with plastic paint but didn't have any texture to it, it was just basic flat color, I sanded it down and used it as a primer for regular metallic paint and it turned out great. There a few sections that I sanded off too far and the metallic paint had a hard time sticking. I tried using just regular grey primer i had floating around but it would just peel off when i sanded it. I hafta redo the trim around the guages cause it's rough, Trevor did something funky to it, but i would suggest prime with a paint for plastic parts as a type of primer, than use whatever normal paint you want after. I have no clear and the paint holdup great, I put my cell phone in the dashwhere the guages, and it slides around with no damage.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Appearance”