Making my own custom headers and exhaust, any advice?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

Making my own custom headers and exhaust, any advice?

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Say I got the tools, know how to weld, have a 3inch high flow cat, MagnaFlow Muffler (from Summit) and resonator

What problems might I run into?
How hard would it be to get a new oxygen sensor? Like, do I have to get one specially made or are there universal Oxygen Sensors I can use?
Infact, can I use the same oxygen sensor off my stock headers?

I am looking for a non-ricey deep exhaust tone that isnt too loud on 3inch piping
I want people to know its a V6, not just some other 4cyl
Is a MagnaFlow muffler a good idea?
Last edited by Juans_93_MX3 on January 17th, 2006, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

yes magnaflow mufflers are one of the best. why do you want 3" exhaust, that would be too much unless youre gonna do all out race mx3 with 400+hp
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

mitmaks wrote:yes magnaflow mufflers are one of the best. why do you want 3" exhaust, that would be too much unless youre gonna do all out race mx3 with 400+hp
I would like to S/C in the future with a KLZE
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

i would think that 2.5" would be enough for supercharged klze
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Agreed, if you are not running much but a muffler 2.5" would be sufficient, plus you can usually only get mandrel bent pipe up to 2.5".
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Ok, 2.5" PIPING it is
How about my Oxygen Sensor question?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

yes your stock o2 sensors would work just fine, just have to tap them in
lakersfan1

Re: Making my own custom headers and exhaust a good idea?

Post by lakersfan1 »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote: Infact, can I use the same oxygen sensor off my stock headers?
Yes. They sell 'O2 bungs' for welding onto pipe yourself. It's just an O-ring with threaded center for twisting the O2 sensor into.

I'd use the stock exhaust manifold logs, and just make new single downpipes for front and rear - 1.75" piping, making the rear as close to equal length as possible. Bend them into a collector, then a 2.5" flex pipe, then the cat, then as long of a resonator or glass pack as possible. Then all the bends to get around the axle, then the muffler, and a nice chrome twin tip.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

So other then a Magnaflow muffler, what else would you guys recommend? G-Reddy? FlowMaster? What 2.5inch muffler is the best?

Remember, I want a deep sounding exhaust
Not ricey, dont want my car to sound like another 4cyl

by the way, I am looking for a dual tip muffler
Last edited by Juans_93_MX3 on January 18th, 2006, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

search for the mufflers its been covered many many times
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

i have a rolled tip OBX muffler. Ive been asked numerous times by others what brand it is cause it sounds alot better than those other popping and cracking crappy sounding ones. It's got a nice deep sound , like my cars has more balls than it actually does
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

i have a rolled tip tanabe muffler and its really deep.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote: by the way, I am looking for a dual tip muffler
You can put a dual tip on any muffler you want. Pacesetter makes twin muffler tips as well as other muffler manufacturers.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Thats odd, search feature isnt working

So I take it people here love MagnaFlow more than FlowMasters and all the rest (GReddy, ect)?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

There are some who prefer the Flowmaster or other chambered mufflers/silencers because they are a bit quieter, but for performance you will want to go with a "straight-through" design, that has a perforated (not louvered) core. To make that type of muffler/silencer as quiet as possible, you need to get the longest and biggest one you can fit. There was another thread previously where we went through the choices as far as Magnaflow parts are concerned. It should still be on the first few pages of the forum, because there were posts to it recently - it was titled something like "Quiet muffler that will not restrict ZE Performance"

As for dual tips, I much prefer the look of a true dual-outlet muffler/silencer rather than a single outlet with a dual-tip added on, particularly on a car like ours where the back of the muffler/silencer casing is so visible. The dual-tip on a single-outlet muffler just looks so..."low-rent", is the nicest term I can think of.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”