Glass Headdlights

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Amma351

Glass Headdlights

Post by Amma351 »

Hey guys...

I was just wondering why dont people in North America have glass headlights that they got in Europe?

Is it too expensive to import?
I think they look great! Much better than this plastic shat...

Thanks

Sasha
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: Glass Headdlights

Post by jschrauwen »

Amma351 wrote:Hey guys...
I was just wondering why dont people in North America have glass headlights that they got in Europe?
Is it too expensive to import?
I think they look great! Much better than this plastic shat...
Thanks
Sasha
For safety and crash reasons. Similar restrictions apply to some EU produced vehicles where the composition of the glass in all of the windows does not comply with NA standards. NA standards are more restrictive wrt safety standards and less restrictive wrt HP output which is again the opposite in EU.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Amma351

Post by Amma351 »

Wellt that answers my long-time question thanks!!
Chemical

Post by Chemical »

Just a thought but would'nt you guys like some glass ones or do you think you would be at risk of being busted by the cops or rather the DVLA (or whatever you guys have over there for you motoring office). Or would it void you insurance had a crash and they twigged? Are all your headlights plastic? Like I said, just a thought as someone over here could send you some if you were interested. Even me. :wink:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

ALot of people would love to get them, I dont think any knows even to check for plastic headlights, it's little to no concern on the legal issues.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

Chemical wrote:Just a thought but would'nt you guys like some glass ones or do you think you would be at risk of being busted by the cops or rather the DVLA (or whatever you guys have over there for you motoring office). Or would it void you insurance had a crash and they twigged? Are all your headlights plastic? Like I said, just a thought as someone over here could send you some if you were interested. Even me. :wink:
be careful what you say, before you know it your gonne have 25 headlight orders

I'd love to have glass headlights, screw the law :P
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Neil

Post by Neil »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:ALot of people would love to get them, I dont think any knows even to check for plastic headlights, it's little to no concern on the legal issues.
When i was in my accident and my Civ Projectors got smashed, the adjuster at the insurance company asked me if my car was a special MX-3 because he'd never seen an mx-3 with projectors in his life. He though they were stock.

So... i dont know about there but if the guys here cant tell. I dont think you need to be too concerned about the law giving you a hard time over having Glass headlights.
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

The European spec glass headlights are perfectly legal in Canada, as our headlights may/must comply with either ECE (European) or DOT (American) standards. In the US, though, you guys aren't so lucky - only DOT lights are legal.

The main issue with the Euro lights is cost - once you add up what it would cost to buy the lights, ship them here, plus import duties and taxes, the cost/benefit ratio is just too high.

Hence the reason I'm working on the Hella 90mm projector conversion! Heck, for what the Euro lights cost, once my kit is done, it will be cheaper to do HID projector low beams with H9 halogen high beams, and you will get FAR superior lighting...
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

If anyone wants the eurospec glass ones i may beable to get a set for a reasonable price.
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
Chemical

Post by Chemical »

Ive put a request in at a large online parts store here- used ones I might add but new the price would be too high so when I get some info I'll let you all know.Might be able to get a bulk price if we get say orders for 10 sets. I can ship through my work and even take orders that way if the price works out ok and folk are interested we wont get into a situation like I read about with those bodykits.... lol
Nah,seriously - just that going through my work means it's easier and I'm traceable and real if you know what I mean. Give reciepts etc.
But anyways it don't matter unless I can get em for a decent price+shipping ....and folk wantem.
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

One other thing to consider:

If the lights are coming from the UK, their cutoff pattern will be the reverse of what ours needs to be, I.E. the upwards flare of the beam will be on the left side not the right side, because in the UK they drive on the left side of the road and their cars are right-hand-drive. The same would apply to lights from Australia or Japan.

What you would really need to get the right beam pattern are the continental European lights, for left-hand-drive cars that drive on the right hand side of the road, like we do over here.

Hope this helps!
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

or just properly aim the lights!! if you aim the lights to compensate for the flare on the left side you wont have any problems trust me i drive with a screwed up aiming bracket on my drivers side and just compensated withe the right headlight it's all in the aiming
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
Chemical

Post by Chemical »

Yeh thats a point- it's easier to source uk ones for me. I havent heard back from the spares people yet so its all academic at the moment.
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

reaper of souls wrote:or just properly aim the lights!! if you aim the lights to compensate for the flare on the left side you wont have any problems trust me i drive with a screwed up aiming bracket on my drivers side and just compensated withe the right headlight it's all in the aiming

:lol: :lol: :lol:
what? so your car is cross-eyed!
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Just wondering.. is it just the lens that is glass on the euro spec headlights? If it is just the lenses.. maybe they could be seperated from the housings and shipped in bulk to one location in canada and one location in the US and then from there shipped to their various points of destination.. might save a huge bundle on shipping.. but.. it would require a bit of coordination and a bit of trust.. maybe you could get the help of the site admins since one is in canada and the other is in the US... Just a thought ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”