ideas for builds on a budget....

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
nicksmx3

ideas for builds on a budget....

Post by nicksmx3 »

im poor and dont have a job like a lot of people and dreaming of a turbo in my mx....the only thing i can afford is cheap stuff bulbs, interior vinyl and fabric paints hub caps and things like thatim just trying to think of some things to do for people (bums) like me with not much cash no job and really into cars.. heres my list please add on if you know anything.

1. for the intake just buy a adapter and a filter wich would be probably under 40 bucks.

2. spray selected parts of your interior to match whatever your color or theme is of your car. about 4 bucks for vinyl and fabric paint

3. pull of the dome light lens and replace it with some cool colored bulbs or the color changing led's like the ones i had that flashed 7 different colors like a lighthouse.

4. if you cant afford about 50 bucks for reverse glow gauges just pull off the gauge clusters and replace the bulbs with a brighter style colored bulb.

5. decals.......dont go putting on corksport decals if you dont have anything corksport at least buy a steering wheel cover and slap some apc stickers on it.

6. steering wheel covers floor mats and seat cover.

thats all i can think of right now and im tired so if you have any ideas post them for us....peaces.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Or- Instead of doing all that and making the car look ricey-- save your $$ for tasteful mods.

Thank you.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
nicksmx3

Post by nicksmx3 »

offensive... plus i dont like to save though i will anyways this is for a budget build maybe for people that want to make it look nicer than stock but cant do too much cuz they have children or familys to take care of.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Sorry my man, but the truth hurts sometimes.

For $40 you can get a real intake from Ebay. All the time. The VAF adapter is what guys like me had to do before there were all these parts available.

Multi-colored bulbs are expensive (compared to other bulbs) and is a Ricer mod.

APC stickers are Rice.. plain and simple.

APC Seat covers are usually pretty ricey- along with the floor mats.

Cheap mods are one thing... APC stuff is another.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

least buy a steering wheel cover and slap some apc stickers on it.
You're white aren't you? :D I'm totally kidding, but seriously, Don't bother with the stickers and the steering wheel thingys and crap like that. It would be *well* worth your time to save what little money you have and buy a CAI off Ebay instead of just a conical filter, or a new muffler instead of just a chrome tip. Trust us when we say stickers don't make your car handle any better, give it more power, or make it look better, for that matter.

It truly boils down to your own tastes, but please, respect the MX-3. :)
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
Devilhog

Post by Devilhog »

Leave the rice for the civics :)

I agree save up that money and build the car slow. Once your finished, even if it takes ya 10 years, you will be so much more happy.

At the pace im going, will be done my car in 3-4 years. Im happy with that. Not even making it a super power house either. Up here in BC Canada its all about who can corner faster and smother wins :)
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

nicksmx3 wrote:want to make it look nicer than stock
If you put cheap ricer parts on your car, people arn't going to look at it and go "oh, thats pretty nice", they are going to say "oh god, look at that cheap ricer.". It's not hard for anyone to tell the difference between cheap junk and genuine good parts. Putting cheap junk will just lessen the visual value of your car. If you want to impress uninformed people on a budget, save up for an ebay intake and a fart cannon. :roll:
nicksmx3

Post by nicksmx3 »

ok this is just about looks.....wow you all make me look like an idiot. how do i save up and get something off of ebay? i dont have a credit card or any other card for that matter. i am not rich like a lot of other people but this is not a PARTS post this is just for some looks and me personally i am saving for a turbo and a pacesetter exhaust.
nicksmx3

Post by nicksmx3 »

just forget i even wrote this forum. it was late at night and i was bored. so please dont say anymore about me being ricey i hate that crap im not. and i do take all this stuff personal. anyways change of subject i love my mx3 my first race on it wich was only a couple of months ago when i bought the car was a wide bodied primered up civic it was all decked out had the gauge pods and rims and all it was fun. we can all agree that smoking civics and all honda's alike are fun
facko

Post by facko »

get a sturt tower bar of corksport. fairly cheap, looks nice, you get a sticker, AND it actually adds to the performance of the car :P
BP swap -- Pacesetter Header -- Custom CAI -- Custom 2.5 Exhaust w/ a Thrush Glasspack and 40 Series Flowmaster -- SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Kit
Shades

Post by Shades »

If this was all about LOOKS... ya shoulda put it in the Appearance forum... you wanna talk about going fast, you post in this forum.

Somebody should move this to APPEARANCE... ;)
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
nicksmx3

Post by nicksmx3 »

agreed. sorry kinda new to this site
mcfly

Post by mcfly »

funny how no one here mentionned " get a job? " You can't be saying that you aren't rich like other people here. I bet 3/4's of the people on these forums worked hard for their car and have full time jobs like myself. I'm not rich either and i doubt many people here are. There are ways around your problems, you just have be motivated. Hard work = success no matter what line of work you're in.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Yeah the job thing helps. I make just aout 20k a year and I'd bet I have one the the nicest MX-3s on the board. However, it has taken me almost 10 years to get it to where it is now. I never resorted to the easy, cheap mods. Well once I used a paint can cap to block off the intake resonator, but that was a real mod :P

I bought my car when I was 18 and it did take ALL of my money just to keep up with the 350.00 a month insurance bill and the 250.00 a month car payment. You will one day get some money, but hard work and a keen mind will get you more than any amount of money ever will.

Painting the interior is not rice and I plan on painting a few things this Winter or Spring myself. A good pair of seat covers and some nice hub caps will make and old car look alot better. Cleaning is also a good way to make a car look newer. Get the door jambs, hatch crease, engine bay and all the nooks and crannies between the dash and trim parts inside. I spend 2-3 full days once a year just cleaning my car and it really helps keep it looking great.

Don't let these guys bash you around too much. We just don't want to see stickered-up Mx-3s. It makes us all look bad. Several of your ideas were great, cheap ones though.
Keep dreaming and work hard at getting a job and do well in school or go to college. Later down the road you'll find yourself more worried about what the next mod will be instead of how to pay for it.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
SnoSurferr

Post by SnoSurferr »

I agree, My MX-3 is still in my garage, Been sitting for a year and 6 months now. Almost done !

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”