Gear STUCK in REVERSE (Trans, Clutch, or ???)

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Mohsan

Gear STUCK in REVERSE (Trans, Clutch, or ???)

Post by Mohsan »

Here's the story.

I got the CV joints replaced in my 94 mx-3 from AAMCO. Shortly after I noticed some fluid that was always on the ground wherever my car was parked. I wasn't sure if it was oil or another fluid--so I figure I would wait a few days until I could take it to to a shop.

Shortly after, I was reversing my car out of my driveway, and now the gear is stuck in reverse. I can not budge the stick out of reverse no matter how much I depress the cluth or play around with the shifter.

I took the car to AAMCO, accusing them of messing up my car--thinking the fluid was transmission fluid that leaked from a bad CV joint replacement.

However, they argued that the fluid that was leaking was oil, and that any potential transmission fluid leak has nothing to do with the problem, and that it was all coincidental.

What do you guys think is the problem?
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Tranny oil. Have them check/change it right in front of you, see if any comes out. Prolly very little will.
gapimpin

Post by gapimpin »

Dont know what year you have but if you have a cable driven speedomiter check to make sure that your drive gear didnt fall off in the tranny thats what happend to mine had to fish it out with a magnet on a string... hope you get it fixed
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

Go back and tell them leaking tranny fluid would have everything to do with tranny problems. :roll:

And yes it sounds like your just low or completely out of tranny fluid/oil. (I use atf in mine). Makes the gears nearly impossible to shift without letting engine get to normal oper. temp *if that even allows you to shift.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

The MTX have been known to get jammed in gear due to long term wear of the syncros often due to the uses of ATF in warmer climates. Changing the CV's and fluid probably dislodged some of the metallic chips from the worn syncros which may have jammed the internal shift fork and rods. Looking at the info that the factory tech reps gave me in the past, I don't think you can blame the tranny shop. More that likely your problem started the day the car rolled off the boat and shipped to the dealer if you live in the southern US states. Unless the shifter can be moved out of gear when the engine isn't running you will more than likely have to open it up to repair it.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”