Mx-3 Ignition Problems

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ShadowPenguin

Mx-3 Ignition Problems

Post by ShadowPenguin »

Hello! I have a quick question. I have a 1992 Mx-3 Gs and my ignition sometimes takes a few tries... always works within 10 seconds, but sometimes I need to turn the key a couple of times. It's been like this for a while. Does anyone know what might be the problem? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Welcome to MX-3.com ShadowPenguin. You haven't given much in the way of previous work, mods, etc which would help narrow down your problem. It could be a lot of things - clogged fuel filter, dirty air filter, dirty spark plugs, wrong spark plugs, bad spark plug wires, gummed up TB, bad O2's, bad ISC, bad vaccum lines, ...... you see where I'm coming from? History, mods and any and all surrounding issues should also be included in any query since for the most part, were not mechanics. Bring back a few more details.
*John*
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

I agree, without a lost of symptons in further depth and modifications or known problems, not much we can do but chase around the bush throwing ideas left and right.

Heres a couple :

If it's really cold outside, the oil gets thick and the pistons take a bit longer to move because of this and the cams/valves aren't moving as fast.

The battery is cold and perhaps your cranking amps isn't up to speed as it's supposed to be and the starter is eating up a lot of power which is getting your plugs a smaller spark.

Who knows..could be anything.
bad_sk8er87

Post by bad_sk8er87 »

Could one of three things - No spark, very little fuel being delivered to the combustion chamber, or the starter is starting to go out.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition. No Mods yet.
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

bad_sk8er87 wrote:Could one of three things - No spark, very little fuel being delivered to the combustion chamber, or the starter is starting to go out.
If he gets it started within 10 seconds, I doubt the starter would be a direct cause as for none fucntional operations. Sounds like a lack of proper mixture of air/fuel/spark is all.

Dude, try some simple things like make sure your vacuums are tite, your filter is clean, your battery is working properly as it should. Just because they can carry voltage doesn't mean they have all the amperage. Clean the terminals off if dirty, look for any disconnected wires simple free things like that to start off.
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

MOST IMPORTANTLY check your spark. I had similar problems recently and it was spark. Take out each spark plug, one at a time, and just ground a wire from body to the threads on spark plug while plug wire is still attached of course. Turn car over and observe the spark. It should be a bright blue. If it is reddish at all, that is sufficient enough to fail. Replace all plugs and if this still doesn't result in high spark, change wires-they may be arching.
This is of course if it is a spark issue to begin with....Let us know!
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
bad_sk8er87

Post by bad_sk8er87 »

Like I said could be one of the three.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition. No Mods yet.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”