Idle Problems

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
rjcarr

Idle Problems

Post by rjcarr »

I've had a 93 MX-3 (as basic as you can get, small 4-cyl 5-speed) for about a year now and am mostly happy with it, but it has some idle problems. They seem to have started a while back and also seem to be getting worse. The car has about 105K on it.

After the car is warmed up I'll come to a stop and the idle will drop really low, probably close to registering a zero, and comes close to dying, although it hasn't yet. Then it comes back to life and stays alive, but still idles low, probably between 500 and 600, and struggles to stay running.

I've scanned these boards a bit and I've seen things about adjusting TPS (although I don't know what that is) and timings but I'm about as novice a mechanic as you can get, but I'm interested in giving it a shot to fix it. I was hoping for some guidance, preferably with pictures, of things I should try.

Thanks in advance.

Unrelated ... the transmission gives some resistance when shifting into second, but seems to only be when the car is cold. Has anyone experiences this, or is it normal? Doesn't seem to be getting any worse, and isn't that bothersome.
MX3driver
BANNED Member

Post by MX3driver »

I would definately check out your PCV valve... they are like 10 bucks and it can ewasily give you an idle problem!! Sometimes it's the little things.. good luck
Ive been banned for moronic childish behavior.
rjcarr

Post by rjcarr »

Okay ... thanks, but any suggestions on where to find the valve and how to replace it? Like I said, I'm a novice. Maybe some suggestions on a good MX-3 shop manual? Thanks.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

theres a good one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MAZDA-CHILTON-1990-t ... dZViewItem

it covers 990 to 1998 mazda 323, MX3,626,MILLENIA and PROTEGE

The same one i have, and its way better then any haynes manual.

Bochek

Edit: if needed i can scan some of the pages for you.
MX3driver
BANNED Member

Post by MX3driver »

well I just replaced my PCV valve and it cost be 9.98CDN at Canadian Tire.. it's cheap.. and it's little.. but can cause SERIOUS problems.. especially when it's cold out.. it really messes with your crankcase
Craig
Hadrien

Post by Hadrien »

My MX3 has the exact same problem. Its a 92 5SP with the 1.6L 4CYL. I put a new battery in and it has seemed to not dip as low as before but will still occasionally go from 500rpm while idling to almost zero and them come right back up.

Will try the PCV valve suggestion, but also noticed alot are saying the ground wiring kit might help. Anyone else have this problem and what have you tried and found work?
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

I had the dipping idle problem. Clean and adjusted my TB now works fine.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

I had the same problem (it idled at 550-600, and it dipped below 500 under heavy breaking).

-Cleaned the TB
-Installed ground kit
-Adjusted idle to be a little higher

Those 3 things solved the problem for me.
nicksmx3

Post by nicksmx3 »

hey, had the same problem in my old car. its your idle air control valve im willing to bet on it. replace the pcv anyways its only what, 3 bucks and takes literally 2 seconds to do. other than that it could be your tps (throttle position switch)
Hadrien

Post by Hadrien »

Will try the PCV tomorrow. The other stuff is going to have to wait untill I can get rid of the Millenia S to focus on the MX3. Thanks guys! :)
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

I'm willing to bet cleaning and adjusting your tb and tps will fix the problem. Really not too hard to do. Tunes did a great write-up I think its posted in the FAQ. Probably needs to be done anyways.
Hadrien

Post by Hadrien »

Adjusting the TPS sounds a bit daunting for someone still rooted in computer geekdom and not car geekdom. But I will look up the Walkthrough and give it a shot! :D
MX3driver
BANNED Member

Post by MX3driver »

what is TB and TPS.. im fairly new
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

TB = Throttle Body TPS = Throttle Position Sensor

Heres the link for the write up

Part 1 - http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42551

Part 2 - http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42552

Hope that helps :D

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”