burning rubber smell

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mcfly

burning rubber smell

Post by mcfly »

when I go from an idling position to accelerating i smell burning rubber. Any ideas? Clutch perhaps? how much does it cost to fix a clutch in canadian currency?
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

Any noise? Burning rubber smell sounds more like a belt or a tire...because they are rubber...
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

stop accelerating so fast and you wont be spinning your tires
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
mcfly

Post by mcfly »

reaper of souls wrote:stop accelerating so fast and you wont be spinning your tires
what makes you think i drive hard? I don't...
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

liar !!!!!! j/k sorry no clue
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
rusty

Post by rusty »

are you sure it's rubber not oil, cause in my car you can smell burnt oil after you accelerate from a stop. but the exhaust isn't blue like it's burning oil. Don't know where the smell is coming from
mcfly

Post by mcfly »

rusty wrote:are you sure it's rubber not oil, cause in my car you can smell burnt oil after you accelerate from a stop. but the exhaust isn't blue like it's burning oil. Don't know where the smell is coming from
well if i were you i'd get that checked, because the more i drove the worst the smell got then all of a sudden my engine would overheat now my car doesnt even work anymore. so yeah, get that checked, i'd suggest u don't even drive ur car until u know what the problem is.
MX3driver
BANNED Member

Post by MX3driver »

yeah, you could possibly just have a bad gasket at the headers or something which would allow it to come in through the vents for heat, A/C whatever.. heat in my case because I'm canadian and balls it's cold here ;)
Ive been banned for moronic childish behavior.
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

I actually have the same problem. Smell the burnt rubber really bad, especially when I crank up the heat.
Coincidentally as the last post mentions, I recently had my header exhaust gasket replaced and I have a feeling it was right after that was when I started smelling the burned rubber smell.

Did you find out what the problem was?
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

Hmm..clutches smell like the most horrible vehicle smell. Oil is like a dingy thick smell almost like cigar smoke and burning rubber could is more like a sharp smell and will make your nose burn.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”