Mx-3 Flywheel?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
theduckylama

Mx-3 Flywheel?

Post by theduckylama »

Okay I have a 93 PGT MTX, soon to be ZE engine, and I'm curious about flywheels. I have been told that a mx3 flywheel will do basically the same as a fidanza, but for muc h less money. My questions are 1) Does it matter what year/model/transmission I get this mx-3 flywheel off of? 2) where would be a good place to get one that would work on my PGT? (done checked ebay)
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

the k8 is the motor that everyone is refering to as the
stock flywheel is 7kg's.

A fidanza 9lb's one is better if you are racing but for a
round town flywheel the k8 one is good, can be safely
machined down to 12lb's with no hassles...

though a rebalance is in order if you do.
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

i weighed my MX3 flywheel, ppl have said its 13lbs, 16lbs and a couple others.

I weighed it on a awesome shipping scale (accurate as fock) and it was 16.8 lbs with the pilot bearing installed.

Just fyi...

and yes it revs quickly. I think the probes is like 22-24 lbs.

Its not as major as a fidanza, but its a definite "cheap improvement" over the probes. If I had a probe and were removing the trans for an engine swap or clutch replacement, i'd DEFINITELY get the mx3 flywheel. It revs quite quickly & feels sporty. I've driven a couple probes & mx6's and noticed the slower revving.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Mx-3's came with 2 different flywheels, kf's and k8's the k8's are a little lighter by .5 lbs. I think they kf flywheels were originally intended just for the kfze's but somehow they've made it into the 1.8...
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Don't machine the factory flywheel. They're engineered for heat absorption and dissipation, and grinding them down is just a bad idea. Some people have managed to use factory lightened flywheels without problems (at least that they've posted), but some haven't. Babyblue had his oem flywheel lightened, and it shatter on him - and I'm sure babyblue was careful about who/how his was lightened, not to mention it was 13.5lbs, not 12. Either use the MX-3 flywheel unmodified, or get a fidanza. My fidanza is easily one of my favorite things i've done to my mx, and it's not hard at all to drive around town.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
theduckylama

Post by theduckylama »

Okay, I have decided to go with a MX3 flywheel from the 1.8 L. Does anyone have one up for sale? I would post in the buy/sell forum, but cant cause Im new. If someone has one for sale, please contact me, I need one ASAP. Thank you.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”