Tune-up?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
eman

Tune-up?

Post by eman »

This may sound really ignorant, but, I just got a 1993/auto/1.6 off a used car lot (Yikes!), how can I tell if it needs a tune-up (I suspect it does , along with a few other "issues"). In other words should I assume a tune up was recently done on this vehicle , since I was able to drive it off the lot in the first place. :wink:
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

Was the car certified? Most Car dealerships like Mazda, Ford etc have a points inspection system for used cars. If you got it from an independent used car lot, then I bet all they did was put some spark plugs wires and an air filter. I've heard alot of cars have bad trannys, but you won't know that till you take it in to have it inspected.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
freakyalien

Post by freakyalien »

I also have questions about tune ups..

if you are fairly uneducated about the internal workings of cars...should you take it to a shop? have much would you expect to pay?
Vroooom
bluemx3

Post by bluemx3 »

I also just bought a MX3 resently, but mines a V6 5 speed. I think one of the first things you have to ask yourself is "What kind of mileage does this car have and were the major scheduled repairs performed on it". A tune up is important for gas mileage etc., but if it's running smooth and starts up without problems, your probubly O.K., but did the timing belt get changed at around every 60000 miles and did the oil get changed on a regular basis. If the timing belt didn't get changed or you don't know, I'd consider having the belt changed first. If the timing belt breaks, the engine can be destroyed or at least big money repairs. If the oil isn't somewhat clean or wasn't changed on a regular basis, it will diffently reduce the life of the engine. I personally change the oil in all my cars every 3000 miles and if that car has over 100000 miles on it I change it every 2000. This might be overkill, but most of my cars get well into the upper 100000 mile range and very rearly have engine problems (Peace of Mind) My MX3 has around 97000 on it and I don't know if it ever had the timing belt changed, so the first thing next spring, I'm taking it in for the timing belt replacement.(It's in storage over the winter) Good Luck with your new purchase and enjoy. :)
Owner of 7 different cars, 5 being convertibles. 1990 Miata is one of my summer fun cars. I enjoy that car so much, I thought owning a MX3 would be fun also. Drive with your top open or top down. See my car web site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816145
eman

good info thanks

Post by eman »

good info thanks. I will have timing belt checked. and ask mechanic is a tune up is needed.
bluemx3

Post by bluemx3 »

Unless you know the mechanic really well. He's going to say you need a tuneup. It certainly can't hurt, so you might as well just get it done and know that your car is in good shape. You can start keeping records from this point on and in the future, you'll know when service is needed. In my opinion, the timing belt replacement is the most important. Years ago, when I was alot more into wrenching, I use to find Hondas in great shape, that I was able to buy for next to nothing, cause the timing belts broke and damaged the valves. The owners didn't want to pay the big bucks to get them fixed, so I'd buy them and do the labor myself. Saved alot of money and was able to sell a few and make a couple of bucks. That was when I decided to make sure I always maintain the timing belts on cars that had them. Good luck
Owner of 7 different cars, 5 being convertibles. 1990 Miata is one of my summer fun cars. I enjoy that car so much, I thought owning a MX3 would be fun also. Drive with your top open or top down. See my car web site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816145
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

How much did you pay for it?
How much mileage?
Has the transmission been rebuilt before?

I seriously hope you didnt pay no more than $2300. Reasons why is, one the automatic transmissions are bad. They give up within the first 120k miles. Unless they are rebuilt
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

In a case like that, unless there is substantial proof, I would side on the perspective that nothing was done. I would set forth to do the DIY things first - oil and filter change, air filter change, fuel filter change (keep old one as a spare back-up), flush and fill coolant, change thermostat, change plugs, clean contacts inside disty cap and disty rotor while inspecting for overall condition, change PVC, inspect all vaccum lines and accordian style intake tubing, replace wiper blades, top up wiper fluid, change accessory belts, change tranny fluid, check timing and I would have a mazda guy inspect the timing belt if your not 100% up in that particular area.
Even if it may be possible that some of these things may be "OK", IMO, it's best to start from ground zero on a new car and which would probably give you a lot of worry free driving from that point forward. I did something like this a year ago when I purchased my Protege. Almost none of the big maintenance things were done at the 90,000km mark du to it going off of lease shortly there after. $500.00 later for all of the things above including the shop to change all of the belts and I was confident of the vehicles integrity.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Moved to 4cl Tech/performance.
jimishadow

Post by jimishadow »

your engine will not get ruined if your timing belt brakes,these cars have what is called noniterference valve train.
teach

Post by teach »

Just had the timing belt replaced as wellas alt and power steering belts along with air intake. Car sure runs better.
96 MX3 ATX 1.6L

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”