70K mile service - what should I get done?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
petekav

70K mile service - what should I get done?

Post by petekav »

Guys, could really use your advice...

Recently got my '93 V6, with no history.
Approaching 70K miles and want to get a service done ASAP.
Have booked it into a Mazda dealer for next Monday, but haven't got €/$/£1Million to spend!

Obviously I'm getting the oil and oil filter changed, air filter, coolant changed and timing belt done, but what else is important?

Not sure what else has been done, the only thing I can see is that there is a date stamp of 1998 on the plug leads, so I must assume the have been changed sometime between 1998 and 2003 (when the lst owner got the car).
I plan to get the brake fluid, power steering fluid and transmission fluid changed H1 2006, but could stretch the budget to get them done now if they were vital.

Your expert advice would be much appreciated as it should save me money and keep the car running!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Scheduled maintenance?
Go to the homepage and select from the left hand column under technical info the Online manual - page A-004
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Timing belt
Water Pump
Timing belt tensioners
(while you have it disassembled- then do the front main crank seal too)
Fuel Filter
Valve cover gaskets
PCV valve
Spark plugs & wires

Nice find, BTW!
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Hate to differ from what Perry sais cause he is our club president, but I'd skip on the timing tensioners to save a penny. Second penny to save would be to use a good mechanic instead of Mazda, but our choice. Other than the timing tensioners I'd say Perry has a good list of things to replace to get a good start on making sure the car is ok. I'd also run some fuel system cleaner after you get it back. Changing the brake fluid and power steering fluid is easy, so I'd save that for a weekend project for yourself. Also a radiator flush is a good idea and again easy enough to do yourself. Do it as soon as you get the car back from the service so that you get any crappy build-up before it breaks the new water pump.

Great find and good luck with the car.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

if its an automatic change the transmission fluid, and requently. Sorry to jack the thread, but just out of curiosity is the 1.8 v6 an interference engine?
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

PATDIESEL wrote:Hate to differ from what Perry sais cause he is our club president, but I'd skip on the timing tensioners to save a penny. Second penny to save would be to use a good mechanic instead of Mazda, but our choice. Other than the timing tensioners I'd say Perry has a good list of things to replace to get a good start on making sure the car is ok. I'd also run some fuel system cleaner after you get it back. Changing the brake fluid and power steering fluid is easy, so I'd save that for a weekend project for yourself. Also a radiator flush is a good idea and again easy enough to do yourself. Do it as soon as you get the car back from the service so that you get any crappy build-up before it breaks the new water pump.

Great find and good luck with the car.
I didnt necessarily mean to absolutley change them.. just check them to make sure they are still good, and if they need replacing, then thats the time to do it. Thats all.

:wink:
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

If you go with Pat's advice you can also save big $ on a timing belt kit . The're selling for $162.00 & free shipping! Madza will probably charge this price for 1 idler pulley. The kit is available from most online parts suppliers.

Kit Content: KL01-12-205 (BELT); KLY2-12-SJ0 (TENSIONER); KL01-12-740 (LOWER/I DLER); KL01-12-730 (UPPER/IDLER).

Good luck.

BTW the 1.8 is not an interference engine. Believe me, I had my left cam pulley shred the knock pin :shock: and no problem! :)
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
bulaian

Post by bulaian »

FlyVFR wrote:If you go with Pat's advice you can also save big $ on a timing belt kit . The're selling for $162.00 & free shipping! Madza will probably charge this price for 1 idler pulley. The kit is available from most online parts suppliers.

Kit Content: KL01-12-205 (BELT); KLY2-12-SJ0 (TENSIONER); KL01-12-740 (LOWER/I DLER); KL01-12-730 (UPPER/IDLER).

Good luck.

BTW the 1.8 is not an interference engine. Believe me, I had my left cam pulley shred the knock pin :shock: and no problem! :)
That's the kit I got when I did my ZE swap, was about $200 CDN
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

bulaian, it's good deal. I think I'm going to buy a spare kit to keep on hand for next change in about 2 or 3 years.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
petekav

Post by petekav »

Thanks guys.

Patdiesel, appreciate what you've said about using a non-Mazda mechanic, but I simply don't trust mechanics in Ireland - they are all cowboys, and more used to fixing farm tractors then V6s! :roll:

BTW if any Irish owners know of a good independent mechanic that would know a K8 pretty well then please let me know.
Stock '93 V6.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

petekav wrote:Patdiesel, appreciate what you've said about using a non-Mazda mechanic, but I simply don't trust mechanics in Ireland - they are all cowboys, and more used to fixing farm tractors then V6s! :roll:
Yeah. Like U.S. mechanics are any good. They all b---- about how hard it is to work on a fuel injected car, when fuel injection's been standard on everything for the last 20 years. Then they have no idea what's broken, and just throw money at the problem ..... starting with the most expensive part first .... all the while keeping your car at thier shop for over a month.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Another side not. Check over all suspension and make sure nothing is worn out. ASll bolts are tight also maybe get it oil sprayed or undercoated. Winter is almost here and you don't want it to rust. Maybe get an alignmnet if it pulls to one side or anything.

John
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

I can relate to what petekav is saying. From experience, if I had to do the timing belt job and I had known what I know know about the shop that did the work I would have gladly done it myself or even bring it to Mazda dealer instead. Not a good idea to simply bring it to any local repair shop.

Lakersfan1, a few of the local shops nearby my town remind me of that old AAMCO Television ad that contrasts their professional services to that of a typical inexperienced local repair shop as a junior mechanic utters and I quote: "OH.. let me do it boss...I always wanted to fix a transmission!" LOL ..Funny, but disappointingly true.

On the other hand, I am confident that there are some good mechanics out there and even a few who really care about the car as much as the owner does. I just got to find one now. :|
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
petekav

Post by petekav »

Car is staying with the Mazda dealer for an extra day; it obviously loves it there! :wink:

So far I've had the all the belts done, the plugs and filters.
Tomorrow sees a new CV joint, and all the fluids.

Am not looking forward to the bill... :crying:
Stock '93 V6.
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

But you are looking forward to Zoom...Zoom... Right :?:
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS