Fluctuating idle? Embarrased @ redlights?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Fluctuating idle? Embarrased @ redlights?

Post by Custommx3 »

Just a quick note...

Alot of people have problems with fluctuating idle too when 1st doing a ZE swap.

Ever get embarrased @ a red light? Hit the defroster switch. It applies a load and stops the fluctuating temporarly. I have fluctuating idle problems every once and awhile and I use this as a temp fix. I have yet to tune my ZE, just breaking it in. 430 miles as of today :)
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

hehe nice barry
have you tried to set the tps ?
what voltage do you have closed and WOT ?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Havent done all that yet. Working on alot of PCs on the side (its christmas time :) ) so I dont have alot of time to work on it yet.

My RS is still down. Havent even touched it in 2 weeks.
hoffman_BMX89

Post by hoffman_BMX89 »

my idle is whak too it goes 1000 to 1500 rpms and keeps jumping like the it drives me insane what is the deal with that how do i fix it
95 Mx-3 GS [R.I.P.]
96 Mx-3 GSR [Sold]
97 Mitsubishi eclipse spyder [For Sale]
97 Saturn SL2 [Sold]
03 Corvette Z06 [Current toy]
98 Saturn SL2 [Daily]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2176731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

A lot of idle problems like that are caused by a vacuum leak.

Another quick fix at the light that's really not good on your car at all is to put it in first gear, hold down the break and slowly let out the clutch until your RPMs drop down. No where near an intelligent thing to do, but if you really need to get the revs down it will work.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

mine did that when I removed my TB coolant lines when it got colder out. Rehooked them back up & it works just fine.
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

I have the bouncing idle on cold starts and it revs to 3,000 rpms when its -30 out which isn't a good thing. This weekend im going to check everything and try to figure this out.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I think all 3 items previously mentioned can be the root problem. In Barry's case when applying an electricl load I would agree with Steve and look towards a real serious (read thorough) TPS adjustment. When I finally acquired one without excessive blow-by through the butterfly, I was able to get a spot on idle that hasn't presented any idle surging whatsoever. WRT cold temps, either having the ISC disconnected or faulty, will generate it too. Of course having the TB coolant lines disconnected does nothing to help during cold temps either. Vaccum lines is another consideration. I will mention that I did experience severe idle fluctuations just prior to my water pump letting go where I was loosing considerable amounts of coolant just prior to. The coolant thermosensor wasn't making contact with the warm coolant and therefore promped the ECU to deduce that the engine was cool/cold and promptly readjusted the fuel mixture for a higher idle to compensate.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

Ever get embarrased @ a red light? Hit the defroster switch. It applies a load and stops the fluctuating temporarly. I have fluctuating idle problems every once and awhile and I use this as a temp fix.
:lol: I was troubleshooting a vacuum leak which gave it the fluctuating idle. I used to shut it down and play with the radio at a red light. Needless to say the people who got stuck behind me were not thrilled about the extra wait. Oh well :roll:
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

this trick doesnt always work, but it hasnt failed me yet, then again, it doesnt happen too often.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i dont have this problem but i do have the problem of only getting about 150 miles to the tank :(
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

I had rich mixture, throttle bouncing and missing as a result of my Ze swap but as soon as I installed my KL31 ECU, mycar has been wonderful. I don't know how many of you with the ecu swap have idle issues but in my case I thought it was just linked to the improper ecu.
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

mines doing that with the k8 ecu.. i think also with the kf...ill check it out tomorrow..its basically the idle control valve thingy iac under the throttle body. I got a spare..ill swap when its noit that cold (probably in 4 or 5 months)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

hgallegos915 wrote:mines doing that with the k8 ecu.. i think also with the kf...ill check it out tomorrow..its basically the idle control valve thingy iac under the throttle body. I got a spare..ill swap when its noit that cold (probably in 4 or 5 months)
I don't think it is the iac since I am running everything KLZE spec except for the TB with sensors. Although this just might be my luck.You would want to change the whole TB to a KL68 and have the isc and tps changed as well rather than just change the iac anyways. Since it is cold, I am going to wait it out and then change the TB and iac since my car is running stable now. Now that I think of it, I think the iac is the same for both motors anyways...if anyone knows for sure, please post.
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

One question...does it only fluctuate when you have your foot on the brake pedal?

Myself, when i had that issue, it was a defective PCV valve.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”