New to MX-3

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
MitchL

New to MX-3

Post by MitchL »

Hey, really looking into buying one of these soon. I think I'm going to go with the 4cyl and save on gas and insurance. I know they only come stock with 105hp, so I was wondering what you guys have done to your cars to increase the hp, and how its worked out for you. I'm really curious as to just how much $$ you have to spend in order to get these cars to really move. Thanks in advance.
freakyalien

Post by freakyalien »

I bought an air intake.

And it didn't fit :roll: .

....Such is life.

Aside from my depressing story of tragety and tears, I would defiantly recommend the MX3 to you...but I'd plan on spending a bit to get the car really moving.
Vroooom
MitchL

Post by MitchL »

Kool, thanks. Anyone else want to elaborate a bit more? I want to know what you've done to your cars.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

92-93 4 cyl - SOHC model - 88HP stock
94-96 4 cyl - DOHC model - 105HP stock

92-93 model is most suitable for swapping in a BPT engine which would produce 180 or 210 HP. You will have to get a manual transmission for this engine and upgrade your brakes, axles, CV etc. It might cost anywhere around $1000 to $xyz....

Other models it is a little bit difficult to swap engines because of the wiring harness problems. There is a possibility of adding a turbo to the stock engine and get some serious power out of those engines (130 HP or more).

Again, from what i hear, automatic transmission is not a good option for any kind of engine swap/power improvement.

I have a DOHC and i am planning on maybe doing a turbo in the near future.
MitchL

Post by MitchL »

Now throwing on a turbo is easier said then done correct? From what I've heard you need to change the pistons or you can kill the engine? Is that true or what, and how much is it to put on a turbo?
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

who's got that sweet picture of where the search page is?

please post here -->
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
MitchL

Post by MitchL »

smarta$$ :wink:
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Someone told me that B6DE is pretty good as is for turbo - You can maybe add performance components from a miata engine (B6ZE). I think the head gasket may not last long under boost - you might need a steel gasket or something. This is what i was told would be required for the turbo

Josh wrote:
what you will need is:

-B6T turbo manifold & turbo
-Intercooler and piping
-high volume fuel pump
-larger injectors, 310cc is perfect
-bigger exhaust is highly reccomended 2 1/4" or bigger
-Blow Off Valve
-Boost sensitave Fuel pressure regulator
-Boost retard if you want to be extra safe
-Colder plugs is a must, 2 heat ranges colder is perfect
-misc lines and a T fitting for the oil feed line and a fitting for your Oil Pan, and water lines.

you will also need some guadges, EGT (Exhaust temp), A/F Wide band is expensive but it absolutly the BEST and easiest way to tune, and a boost guadge.

you dont need performance Cams or rings.

but for the most part thats what you need to get it running
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=46723
MitchL

Post by MitchL »

Hey that helps, now I just gotta find some pricing cause Im not a do it yourself guy unless its a old chevy v8 smallblock.
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

I've spent about $500 on performance so far, and I'm no where near fast. I still lose to newer cars that are stock (I.E. girlfriend's 02 Corolla LE)

Universal OBX racing muffler and a custom made cat back exhaust.

K&N Filter on MAF sensor (Ordering a SOHC intake kit to install on DOHC on Tues.)

Optima Red Top Battery (Didn't make car faster but made starts and idle smoother.)

Drop Zone Springs on stock (worn) struts (Die Dropzone DIE!!!)

All in all the 4 cyl's aren't that fast. You can't do your basic bolt-ons and expect to compete. Guys with fast cars on here are running motor swaps or completely built N/A motors (N/A....mmm.... my heros 8) )

You need to do your searching. I've spent countless hours researching what I wanted to know. If you pm me I'll help you a bit with some of the stuff I've found, but everyone here will tell you to put in a couple hours with the search tool up top.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

an mx-3 is slow unless u BP it but i still think the sohc is faster than the dohc from my on exp. i never lost to a 1.6 dohc in my 1.6 sohc but in my bp mx-3 thats a different story. Damn i love the MX-3
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
MitchL

Post by MitchL »

whats "BP it"?
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

WHAT i can't believe u don't know that BP is well a motor swap putting in the 1.8 DOHC from the 90-94 mazda protege motor called BP into a MX-3 better or easier if u have a 92-93 mx-3 easy swap BP harness and ecu ur done u can still use the 1.6 tranny but the BP tranny is better. noticeable difference in power i love my 92 BP MX-3 better than my 93 sohc
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Read the faq, they will give alot of info that may help.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”