explanation plz?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fieromx3
Supporting Member

explanation plz?

Post by fieromx3 »

ok when im lookin at turbos and they give u info on them im clueless. i know what they mean by like t3/t4 or t88 and inlet outlet size and hp rating. i dont know what they mean by wheel inducer/exducer wheel trim and all that fancy jazz. could someone plz explain what all i would need to know to choose the right turbo for what im goin for? also what do they mean by when they say gt30 or gt55?
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

It would be unrealistic to expect someone to give a complete education on the nuances of turbo charging on this BB. It appears you need to get some of the grass roots info first. Here's some stuff that you can browse through that can help you in your decision process as well as give you a better foundation to ask more specific questions that can be realistically answered within the limitations of this BB. I've included Supercharger stuff as well in case you'd like to compare. Also some MegaSquirt stuff since you'll need some sort of management system in either case. Enjoy.
*John*

http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product ... argers.asp
http://www.glensgarage.com/
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm
http://www.megasquirt.info/
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

well i know how a turbo and super works and all that but when im lookin them up it says wheel trim stuff and a/r all that little bits that i dont know what that means so i was wonderin if someone could tell me.
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

but thx for those links they can come in handy
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

Im pretty sure J-Beef's main point to that post was to SEARCH
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

hos point is always to search
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

It would be unrealistic for me or anyone else to expect to be educated as to the intricacies on how certain things work. That is to say that, to give the question it's full response, would mean an extremely long, labourious and drawn out explanation. Something that's really not suited within the domain of this BB. I believe that it's always been the perspective of the staff and members of this BB, that individuals should try to the most or fullest extent possible search for the answers to their questions in the archives/previous posts/FAQ's. Although I haven't gone through the link on turbo's, it sure looked like the answers to your questions could be contained in there. I know that I had similar questions like you about Superchargers and I went through almost everything in that SC link to educate myself. In doing so, I was better equipped to ask specific questions that would not entail or require long drawn out answers. Do you see where I'm going with this. We should never expect to be fed everything, rather query only when our own resource avenues are exhausted. I hope this clears things up.
Brandon, you pretty much nailed it but I felt a better explanation was in order and perhaps other new members might also benefit from this.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

i see what u mean jon. i didnt think it would take alot of explaining to do since i was askin somethin simple(or so i thought). i wasnt asking how things work just what wheel trim, and a/r is. i have searched through the stuff u posted but that details stuff of how it works what a turbo is and such but didnt give details like wheel trim and all. although on precision turbo.net it has a little link of ''how to identify precion turbos'' i looked at that and it gives detail of how to identuify but not what wheel trim and such is. i was just seeing if anyone knew what it is if they dont thats ok ill find out somehow. anyway this thread can be locked or deleted or what ever.
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

or moved to the forced induction section as i have this in the wrong spot
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

John, is telling you that the AR and trim IS HOW the turbo works. You need to read Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost" book. It will tell you everything you need to know about buying a turbo. Besides he will also teach you everything you need to know about turboing a car, what to do, what parts you need (besides turbo stuff) how to figure out what your car can handle and what you can expect to get from your set-up after you figure out what you want. The turbo Bible really.
The AR and housing sizes are what the turbo is all about. We cannot rewrite a book in a post or even give a simple explination that will not be totally confusing or completely lacking info.
Get the book, it is a great read and you'll really know your stuff when you understand all that he talks about. Honestly if you can completely understand everything in his book you'd probably be the new authority in turbos on this forum. They can be quite complicated. I've read the book twice and taken notes as I read it and could still get plenty more out of it if I read it again.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

PATDIESEL wrote:John, is telling you that the AR and trim IS HOW the turbo works. You need to read Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost" book. It will tell you everything you need to know about buying a turbo. Besides he will also teach you everything you need to know about turboing a car, what to do, what parts you need (besides turbo stuff) how to figure out what your car can handle and what you can expect to get from your set-up after you figure out what you want. The turbo Bible really.
The AR and housing sizes are what the turbo is all about. We cannot rewrite a book in a post or even give a simple explination that will not be totally confusing or completely lacking info.
Get the book, it is a great read and you'll really know your stuff when you understand all that he talks about. Honestly if you can completely understand everything in his book you'd probably be the new authority in turbos on this forum. They can be quite complicated. I've read the book twice and taken notes as I read it and could still get plenty more out of it if I read it again.

Agreed, great book and a denfinant read. Just get it from chapters online....25 bucks shipped
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

I bought one, lost it, bought another one :)
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You didn't loose it. Someone probably stole the bible!!! :shock:
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

PATDIESEL wrote:You didn't loose it. Someone probably stole the bible!!! :shock:
ROFL, those damn thieves :x
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
ikarus1

Post by ikarus1 »

If you want a quick and dirty; Sport Compact Car ran a series a while back on turbocharging. It was very good. Also, turbonetics has some good info. The keys here is compressor surge, how much boost you plan on running, how much air your engine moves naturally aspirated, and how to calculate pressure ratios. Learn how to read a compressor map and how to calculate Brake Specific Fuel consumption.

Learn all that and you're ready to try a turbo install yourself. If you don't know that stuff, find a friend who does :P

Lots of this stuff I learned on http://www.turboford.org when I owned an SVO mustang. Turbos are high-maintainance sometimes, so be prepared. But in return, you get the highest possible power for a given displacement.
93 White MX-3 "Ebay special"
94 Green 626 V6 5-speed "family car"
94 Mazda B2300 SE "project turbo truk"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”