Interesting Rattle

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
msilverton

Interesting Rattle

Post by msilverton »

My daughter asked me to look at her MX3. She has developed a rattle in the lower engine area. The rattle is present when the clutch is out, but when it is depressed it disappears. When in neutral, I can depress the clutch slowly and it seems to slowly subside (maybe something spinning?), then as I ease the clutch out the rattle returns. The rattle is present in first and second, not sure about above that as too fast to hear it.

Any suggestions as to where to begin looking? May have to take this one in as it will have to be up and running to identify closely.

Thought I would ask here as maybe it is a common ailment and someone can direct me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

Sounds like a throw out bearing.
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

look at your exhaust thoroughly to see if any thing is loose, my friend had this problem with his car recently and it happened with clutch motion also but one day i was standing outside of the car and heard the rattle it sounded kinda like exhaust so we checked and one of the rings toward the mesh part cant remember name but it had come loose and was rattling, its something to check and if it turns out thats what it is it will be cheaper and easier than the clutch

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”