Putting your car into storage for winter?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Neil

Putting your car into storage for winter?

Post by Neil »

I got this off another forum, and as my car will be in storage for the winter i wanted some input from fellow mx3ers on what they thought about this list i found.

"1. Purchase a gas stabilizer of some sort, I use Sta-Bil as it is the most readily available. As we all know, gas goes bad after a couple of months and can leave gummy deposits in your fuel system, the gas stabilizer will keep the gas fresh and prevent the deposits from forming.

2. Wait until your car has about ¼ to 1/8 of a tank of gas left in it, stop by the gas station and put in the Sta-Bil according to the instructions. Then fill the tank, all the way full. Why full you might ask? You want a full tank of fuel to keep condensation from forming in the gas tank. Water in the gas tank is bad. Drive around for 5 to 10 minutes to get the Sta-Bil through your entire fuel system, then drive home.

3. Change the oil and filter. Oil contains all the by products from combustion and these by products are acidic, so you want the cleanest oil as possible in the engine. (You can skip this step if you just changed the oil and there is only a couple of hundred miles on it.)

4. With the oil changed, thoroughly clean the inside and outside of the car. Hand wash, wax, vacuum, armor all, the whole nine yards. I’m not going to go into any more detail on this because most of us are fanatics in this area already. If cleaning tips are needed, there’s a ton of info out there.

5. This next step has a couple of options. The owners manual wants you to put the car up on jack stands for any extended period of storing. I personally would rather use a set of old wheels and tires on the car for storage and store the custom rims separately. This will allow you to move the car if you need to and will save your expensive tires from possible flat spots. This is also a good time to clean all the brake dust and road debris from the rims and brake components, and to throw a coat of wax on rims (if applicable). To properly store the custom wheels, lay the first tire on a piece of cardboard so it isn’t in contact with the cement then stack the other wheels on top with a layer of old rags or newspaper in between.

6. The car should now be in the garage either on jack stands, or on crap wheels. Crack you driver and passenger windows a ½ inch or so for breathing purposes. This only applies if you are storing the car indoors.

7. Leave the Parking Brake OFF."

Is all of this important when not storing your car in a garage or heated enviroment? My car will be in my drive way for the winter. Just looking to get some input from people on here.
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Sheets of cardboard lying under the entire length of the car is good for absorbing moisture/condensation that occurs with daytime heating and nightime cooling. If the engine is not started during the storage period either use a spray protectant over engine parts and/or lay out sheets of newspaper in the engine bay to absorb accumulated moisture.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

i dont recommend using aror all on the dash board since it has silicone and well it can make them crack i would go with a silicone free cleaner. just my .02
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

i plan on parking my car in my garage on stands for 4 months over the winter

i can get my parents to start the car for me if it is better

how often should i start my car? and how long should i let it run for??
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
MX3parkerGS

Post by MX3parkerGS »

i wouldnt know a damn thing about it, because winters here and i plan on riding her through it and pulling the ebrake in empty parking lots quite often. :driver:
'94 White MX-3 GS. Engine bay empty and waiting for the 2.5DE.

Completly stock, at this time.

Parker
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

Hoodzy wrote:i plan on parking my car in my garage on stands for 4 months over the winter

i can get my parents to start the car for me if it is better

how often should i start my car? and how long should i let it run for??
i start mine at least once a week.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Mine's been stored for over a month, it's covered and tied down so I can't easilly go in and start it up, although I'm waiting for a nice day and when I'm down that way.

fry_81, how's you mx-3 coming along?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

A start every week should do the trick. With the garage door open of course, let it run for at least 10 to 15 minutes so that it gets to a good operating temp. Within the last minute of idling, I'd have it rev'd a few times to about 3k to 4k rpm, to kick out some of that built up carbon.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”