Detailed explanation on different KLZE intakes?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Neil

Detailed explanation on different KLZE intakes?

Post by Neil »

Hey guys,

I know that you’re suppose to use the Millennia intake manifold when you do the klze swap what but I am just curious what the differences in the difference curve neck intake manifolds are? And does any one have the numbers for the millennia intake manifold? (eg: KL whatever)

If someone knows a really detailed explanation between the differences and what they all do differently on the KLZE I’d really love to know all this before I go spending a bit of money!
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

A Eunos 800 is a Japaneese millena.
most MX-6s and other cars in japan used a straight neck IM

Heres most K series Intakes.

Image (basically its a k8 Intake manifold with square runners)

Image (Basically its a straight neck KFZE intake with square runners)

(Millenia manifold (same as the Eunos 800)

We have to use a curved neck manifold because of the battery and brake booster interference. You can use a KL intake, but the ports on the heads will not match the ports on the intake, so more restrictive, less HP.

KLZEs have square ports on the heads. Most KLZEs have straight neck manifolds it seems, so your only alternative for port matching would be a millenia intake manifold because it also has square runners and is curved so it will fit in or bay without hitting the battery/brake booster.
Last edited by Custommx3 on March 5th, 2007, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: Detailed explanation on different KLZE intakes?

Post by jschrauwen »

Neil wrote: And does any one have the numbers for the millennia intake manifold? (eg: KL whatever)
KL47
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Neil

Post by Neil »

Edit: NVM.

Thanks CustomMx3 and Jschrauwen
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
n2ogsze

Post by n2ogsze »

Good thread. I'd like to add that the straight neck can be used in our cars, as I've done it. I just cut the front motor-mount, dropped it, re-welded it so it would tilt the engine slightly. I also had to modify the throttle body linkage.
T61 powered KLZE
n2ogsze

Post by n2ogsze »

I'd also like to add that using the striaght neck is not a very practical solution. I eventually bought a Millenia manifold from an online junkyard for around 65 shipped. Then sold the straight neck for 200 bucks.
T61 powered KLZE
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

would i notice a difference in a Millinia IM and the klze? i have one of each
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

wagZE wrote:would i notice a difference in a Millinia IM and the klze? i have one of each
naa it'll be all the same

I'll take advantage of this sticky to inster this link
good info on there :

http://www.mx-3quebec.com/swap6.htm
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

So am I to understand that if you could get your hands on one of the few Curved neck KLZE's that it would fit as is?
1993 GS
-MS front -functional molded hood scoop
-MS molded sides-shaved antenna
-Civic projectors -New black paintjob
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Yes the Eunos 800 IM will fit right in no mods needed. Then sell me your straight neck IM for a good price :)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
sampsonmx3sv

Post by sampsonmx3sv »

The Millenia will be easier to locate. And 95+ onle needs a cap over a vacuum attach.
m7x3r

KL and KLZE from TigerJapanese

Post by m7x3r »

Hey customMX3; great pics really helps....

However it got me a bit confused now when i was shopping around for KL ZE engine. Because there is warehouse that imports JDMs in toronto https://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.php?cPath=45 with a different variations or may be they missed up the names.. either way I trust your knowledge more than theirs but if you can look at them and just verifiy with me if i ever decided to get the engine from them, then this is what i need the KLZE with the straight neck Image

but with the KL intake manifoldImage

which i believe seems to be identical to the pic you have with the polished curved neck and square runners at the very end.

Another thing they say that the KL's application includes the MX-3 but they don't seem to mention that the KLZE's application is also for an MX-3 only MX-6 and Probe GT.

So if you could just look it up and tell me if I go with a 'KLZE' and a 'KL' manfiold ( by their naming convention) then i should be ok

because the KF and the K8 are something else and not really interesed in that just the KLZE with a mellinia manifold.

KF Pic

and the K8's pic

thank you in advance. :)
Suspension Technique coils, with Tokico Blues
2.5L
Ceramic Pads and SS Break Lines
Straight Pipe
m7x3r

The Real KLZE

Post by m7x3r »

Oh one more thing just came to mind

I have noticed that the KLZE looks very similar to the MX-6 north american spec engine except that the runners are square and round on the north american.

So someone could scam me for an mx-6 engine with the mellinia manifold.

SO correct me if I am wrong but the KLZE should have a block stamp of KL31 as i read somewhere on the forums...

That way i can be sure that what i am getting is the real KLZE....

Thank you again.
2.5L
Straight Pipe
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Re: KL and KLZE from TigerJapanese

Post by Custommx3 »

m7x3r wrote:Hey customMX3; great pics really helps....

However it got me a bit confused now when i was shopping around for KL ZE engine. Because there is warehouse that imports JDMs in toronto https://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.php?cPath=45 with a different variations or may be they missed up the names.. either way I trust your knowledge more than theirs but if you can look at them and just verifiy with me if i ever decided to get the engine from them, then this is what i need the KLZE with the straight neck Image

but with the KL intake manifoldImage

which i believe seems to be identical to the pic you have with the polished curved neck and square runners at the very end.

Another thing they say that the KL's application includes the MX-3 but they don't seem to mention that the KLZE's application is also for an MX-3 only MX-6 and Probe GT.

So if you could just look it up and tell me if I go with a 'KLZE' and a 'KL' manfiold ( by their naming convention) then i should be ok

because the KF and the K8 are something else and not really interesed in that just the KLZE with a mellinia manifold.
Those are BOTH KLZE IM. The curved neck is also used on the millenia version of the 95+ KL engine.

Remember a Millenia KL has the KL131 heads, same as the KLZE (on MOST models, although it has been reported some millenias found did not have the KL131 heads, but had round ports as opposed to square.) Also those looking in a salavage yard for a motor, dont assume,\ that if a Millenia engine has a square port IM, that it will have KL131 heads, because some do not.

What makes a ZE a ZE is the heads, the pistons, and No EGR. Some models have more aggressive cams, some have the KL01's found in the US KLDE.

Basically s KLZE is a millenia motor that comes with the KL131 heads, square ported IM, 10:1 CR pistons, more aggressive cams, and no EGR.
m7x3r

Thanks for the reply

Post by m7x3r »

Great info man... that really helps ... oh one more thing though

let's say i got the KLZE with the MS8 IM.. u think the VAF of either ones would fit in along with all other sensors...

because apparently i have the 2.0L engine off of the 626 NA spec engine which causes me a small problem on very hot days .. engine heats up coz there is an extra temp sensor on the mx-3 that has no place to go in on the 2.0L engine.. which causes my other fan to switch on. ..

Mazda dealership one time suggested to drill a whole but i said no since i have been really wanting the swap for sometime now... and I could just make my rad work harder by turning on the heater..

but the question really is if I get MS8 IM with the KLZE block and head the VAF along with other sensors should be good to go :!: :?: :)
2.5L
Straight Pipe

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”