haha dumb question...could I take him?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
StylinMike

haha dumb question...could I take him?

Post by StylinMike »

Okay my buddy has a 87 chev astro...4.3. I believe it has 150 hp stock, auto. I have a sohc 1.6. This weekend we're gonna race for fun (actually for 40 bucks, but we're good friends). Anyway, my question is will I be able to take him? Im fairly confident I can...even tho the 1.6 only has 88 hp or whatever, the car is alot lighter, and standard. And im sure he'll be stupid and race the van in overdrive the whole time....so do I have a pretty good chance?
gapimpin

Post by gapimpin »

a chevy would normaly stomp on you or me for that matter i have the same engine but an astro van has no acceleration they are passenger vehicles geared for fule economy so as long as you know how to shift you will stomp all over him... :D let us know what happens
Shades

Post by Shades »

You'd probably beat him off the line... but in the long run, he's probably kick your a--.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Maybe you should double check which Astro Van he has. I've seen V8 Astro Vans. I don't think they were stock that way, but I could be wrong.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
StylinMike

Post by StylinMike »

Im positive he has the 262 (4.3 6 cylinder). I have the same engine in my blazer, just newer. I know my blazer would beat my car, but I really dont think the astro will keep up. Its in shitty condition too. While we're on the subject, can anyone suggest a good place in or around Edmonton for me to pick up a BP?
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

is the astro AWD?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

nos92mx3 wrote:is the astro AWD?
LOL....I didnt even think an astro could spin the rear wheels anyways.
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
StylinMike

Post by StylinMike »

Nah its rwd. Its an old shitty canada post fleet van. If it matters, it doesnt have posi...ive seen him try brake stands haha.
Bigg E

Post by Bigg E »

I think you'll win depending on how far you race? Let us know
1995 MX-3 RS: ST lowering springs, Front & Rear Strut Bars, 95 GS spoiler, ACT Stage 1 Cltuch kit, B&M Short Throw, Corksport braided steal clutch line, Corksport bronze oil bushings, 17 inch BSA rims, Tint, Chrome Altezza's
Pics http://www.cardomain.com/ride/537422/1
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

sorry guy i"m all for the mx but i got my a$$ handed to me by a aerostar don't underestimate the vans they have unseen potential but hell give him hell i hope you win
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
mcfly

Post by mcfly »

hehe yeah i beat a 2004 4cyl lancer with my v6 kia sedona, it beat me off the line, but i a-- fed him after. :)
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

reaper of souls wrote:sorry guy i"m all for the mx but i got my a$$ handed to me by a aerostar don't underestimate the vans they have unseen potential but hell give him hell i hope you win
LOL, no way...I think your lying :lol:
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

So, did you win?
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

ok i say hes going to waist you. definatly dont under estimate a Astro, better known as a Chev Fastro. they are quick, and they do spin the rear wheels. you can pull some mean power brakers in a fastro. iv seen them pull into the 12's in the 1/4 with the 4.3L V6. obvously modifyied but they are probably one of the best V6 motors out there. the motor is a 350 with two cylinders choped off, literaly.

i say either you will be neck and neck or hes going to take you.
SpikeDerailed

Post by SpikeDerailed »

<I>sorry guy i"m all for the mx but i got my a$$ handed to me by a aerostar don't underestimate the vans they have unseen potential but hell give him hell i hope you win</I>

Before I got my MX-3 my previous vehicle was a 4wd Aerostar ext cab. That thing could really move, many people learned that the hardway.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”