problems shifting

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
gapimpin

problems shifting

Post by gapimpin »

im having a problem getting my car into first and sometimes reverse every other gear works fine. to get it in first most of the time i have to let the car role a little and it makes a crunch when it enguages but some times it will go in smooth as can be could this be my bushings the controol rod just not following the gate. i was thinking about getting some of those bronzeoil bushings but i want to know if that will fix it before i shell out $80 for the whole set.
jimishadow

Post by jimishadow »

not likely?how does it shift if you have the engine off?it mite be tranny sycros or worn clutch,try adjusting the rod on clutch pedl,make it a little longer.if that works your clutch is on the way out.
Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

Sometimes mine does that too. I find it helpful to shift though the pattern then put it into reverse.
'92 Festiva L powered by a 1.8L SOHC Protege motor - For Sale
gapimpin

Post by gapimpin »

it shifts the same while the car is on or off so its probably time for a new tranny i guess.
cdngrl420

Post by cdngrl420 »

my car does it too and its rough goin into second when the cars cold i took it to the mechanics and he said it was normal wear and tear.
gapimpin

Post by gapimpin »

ive never had a problem with second but a cold front just hit texas and thismorning my first gear was fine but it was grinding into second until it warmed up. well i guess its still doing good for a tranny with 200,000mi on the clock. you think if i change the fluid it would help any? or is their anything else i can do just to improve the shifting?
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

change the fluid in your tranny every -> 30,000km, 2yrs or when the colour of the fluid changes colour, or you are having problems

any other ideas?
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Anaxas

Post by Anaxas »

If the problem occurs when you first try to put the car in gear after you start, then I have the same 'problem' too... happend yesterday shifting into reverse. I just roll or put the car into another gear and then try again and it's good to go. I had the bushings replaced 3 years ago and it didn't make a difference for me - it still happens 5 or 6 times a year.
------------------------------------
1996 MX3 RS - Toronto
cdngrl420

Post by cdngrl420 »

gapimpin wrote:ive never had a problem with second but a cold front just hit texas and thismorning my first gear was fine but it was grinding into second until it warmed up. well i guess its still doing good for a tranny with 200,000mi on the clock. you think if i change the fluid it would help any? or is their anything else i can do just to improve the shifting?
exact same thing with my car im going in to get the tranny fluid changed real soon so if i notice any improvements ill tell u, but what i recall the mechanic telling me is that soemthing inside the gearbox has worn down since you go from 1st to 2nd the most and it doesn't hurt the tranny any, then i got advice from my dad to just be easy and hold the clutch in for a few secs and shift real slow when shifting between those gears especially when the car is not warmed up, don't down shift into that gear jus throw it in neutral when its being a pain, just becarefull because sometimes it pops out of second and into neutral or you will feel a slight crunching and it feels like its not going all the way down.
gapimpin

Post by gapimpin »

i have noticed that since its been colder my car seems to be shifting better the only thing i can think of is that the gear oil is thickening up so maybe i do need to change it just a thought

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”