Detailed Instructions

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
MX3driver
BANNED Member

Detailed Instructions

Post by MX3driver »

can anyone leave detailed instructions on how to change the valve seals in a mx-3 with a 4cyl 1.6l 16 vlave dohc engine. Thanks alot.
Craig
Ive been banned for moronic childish behavior.
Carmaster2005

Post by Carmaster2005 »

I know you can change them with the head on, But i would take the head off, its easier and you can get the head gasket at the same time. of course, if you just plan on changing the valve seals then leave the head on. If you do it the easy way and just take the head off all you would have to do then would be to remove your valve springs using a valve spring compressor, you will need to make sure you have the right kind of valve spring compressor for a dohc motor, anyways just compress the valve springs being very careful not to loose any keepers which sit around at the top of the valve. go through remove all 16 springs and 32 keepers. then one at a time take the valve out clean off any dirt, then you can remove the old valve seal using needle nose plyers being careful
not to scratch anything , then install the new seals making sure you dont mix up the intake seals with the exhaust. VERY IMPORTANT - make sure to lube the valve stem and time before inserting it through the new seal. then make sure your valve is fully inserted put you valve spring over the valve stem , compress the springs and install your keepers ,making sure you fully install the keepers , then release the valve spring compressor. and then just repeate these steps for all 16 valves. its actually easier then it sounds. i had to change the valve seals on my last car which was a1.6 dohc it took me about 8 hours , then again im not a pro. i dont know how you want to do this but this is the only way i know how b/c i have never dont this with the head on. 2of the most important steps are install the seals in the reight location intake on the intake side and exhaust on the exhaust side and oil the valve stem with motor oil befor you insert the new valve seal. Hope the has been helpful. good luck
Drive Fast,Hit the nitrous,Enjoy the ride :)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”