Intake manifold leak

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fi addict

Intake manifold leak

Post by fi addict »

Not 100% on this but i can not seem to locate my vacuum leak anywhere else. I hear it and DAMN is this a pain. When i hit/tap the gas the rpm's dip then rise. If i use too much gas it bogs. I think i am looking at multiple issue actually. My queston is thisto patch this up... what is the best "Gasket maker" agent. What would you fine people recommend... yes i still need to rip off the intake but i want the Gasket and product of choice ready and waiting to install.

Thanks,
Bryan
Last edited by fi addict on October 13th, 2005, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garage (sort of)
99 Acura Integra GSR-T (totaled)
03 Mercedes Benz C230K (rear upgrade from 3.27 to 3.67 ratio) running strong at 108K miles
92 MX-3 v6 (that i wanted to twin turbo w/ an ht12 and ht15) - Parting out now!!!
90 MX-5 getting the rotary treatment
bdavis2005 @ gmail . com
feedback link -> http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fi addict

Post by fi addict »

oh and also...
Would you recommend making a short intake to avoid the chance of a vacuum leak on the way from the MAF? seems to be the issue w/ most people. (developing intake leaks)

One more thing... besides replacing lines what works best for finding vacuum leaks in your opinion (ex. spray bottle for boost leaks... you see bubbles)
Garage (sort of)
03 Mercedes Benz C230K (rear upgrade from 3.27 to 3.67 ratio) running strong at 108K miles
92 MX-3 v6 (that i wanted to twin turbo w/ an ht12 and ht15) - Parting out now!!!
bdavis2005 @ gmail . com
feedback link -> http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

what i would really like to know to is where are these vacom hoses i know where alot of them are (right on top..) but i want to know where all of them are?
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

You can use starter fluid to spray around where you think the leak is to pinpoint the leak. When the starter fluid gets sucked into the vacuum leak, it should make your RPM's jump.

For gasket maker, if you're not using the proper gasket, Permatex Form-A-Gasket #2 is usually used for intake manifold or throttle bodies if you don't buy the gasket.
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

There is a vac line that runs from the firewall to the back of the IM. The vacum nipple is turned and I think the vac line has a red dot on it. I think its egr related. Try to feel for it when the car is running.
65 shot > V8
fi addict

Post by fi addict »

dewthis- you think it is a hose that dropped off the nipple in the back. Is that what you are saying?

lakers fan- perfect.. starter fluid, great plan. AND i plan to use a gasket and maker. It helps to create a tight seal that will last. (tip for all to use)

Thanks
Garage (sort of)
bdavis2005 @ gmail . com
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

online shop manual has all the vacum line connection diagrams, thats what i always use..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I brought this up in a previous vaccum leak thread. Rather than having a liquid material leak or dribble somewhere unwanted I have seen that using a butane lighter refill bottle is perfect for directing the vapour to specific regions and is much more easily drawn into even the smallest of vaccum leaks. A rise in idle rpm's will be almost instantaneous. Conversely, a water bottle mister can also be used wherein you should see the opposite effects which is a drop in idle rpm.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

Yep, or more like you have left one off. I did it the first time I removed the IM. I've had it off three times now and it takes a total of45 mins. or so, off and back on.
65 shot > V8

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”