Shorter shifter install problems

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
bulaian

Shorter shifter install problems

Post by bulaian »

Hey, I just purchased this shifter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 8002625781

and i'm having problems installing it. I was able to get my old shifter out fine but when I try to install this one, I noticed there's nothing keeping the shifter itself from sliding out to the bottom out of my car and hitting the exhaust piping.

I was wondering if anyone else out there with a sts with this type of housing had any problems like this or if i'm just dumb or if my shifter is broken?

thanks a lot.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

anything else came with shifter, some kind of hardware to install it. like clip or something
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
bulaian

Post by bulaian »

it was late last night and i was getting really frustrated at everything so I didn't look too closely. I'm off work in an hour so I'm going to check again. I'll post more if I have more problems
bulaian

Post by bulaian »

Ok i got it installed and everything now but it's wobbly as hell. the base of the shifter, where it connects to the linkage is not as wide as the stock one. my only thoughts on this is to fit in some washers to fill the space. any other solutions ot this problem?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

possibly got wrong part :roll: I think theres supposed to be bushings to go in there
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
bulaian

Post by bulaian »

if anyone cares... I bought some stock bushings from the mazda dealership for about $12. The Shifter Extension rod Bushing and just the regular plastic shifter bushings and the shifter is tighter than it has ever been with the stock shifter before it.
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

mine is lose to and i got a B&M that i got from ebay. Mine is getting stiffer tho but i like it nice and lose because i know it wont stick then when i am racing auto cross =)
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
bulaian

Post by bulaian »

lol it was waaaaaay too lose before though, the top of my shift know could sway back and forth about 2 inches, when it was in gear :shock:
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

ya mine does that to, it doesnt bother me i like it like that makes it lose and easy to put in gear good for racing ;)
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

bulaian

Post by bulaian »

really???? i don't mind maybe a cm of give or so but like 2 inches was crazy... i didn;t even know if i was in gear sometimes :oops:
ooELMOoo

Post by ooELMOoo »

You take your old white circle thingys :P :P that you took out of your old shifter and put them on your new one...Then you take the little black rubber bands of and it slides right it.....then if you dont like it lose you take those rubber bands and place them under your car where the shifter comes down ....then it stays nice and tight....but i love the lossness :P when my car is in 4th gear i can have it like its almost in second so its comfotable and fast to change gears
----------------
| CUSTOM X3|
----------------
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

He is unable to use the round things the new shifter comes with them on it. He is basicly have to live with it. =) you get use to it after time.
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

You could try putting some greace in the ball part see if that will make it stiffer.
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

bulaian

Post by bulaian »

I can't use those white circle things, since it comes with aluminum housing. kinda odd, there's no ball either, in the middle of the housing, it's kind of like a ball but the shifter goes straight throgh the middle of it. oh well, i love how it is now though.
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

I got the ebay shifter too... not the best part but it works lol...

For your loose problem: Take washers and start slippin them between the fork and the bottom of the shifter. They won't fit the best, but no one will ever see them so it's not a huge deal in my opinion (Haven't tried the SRD bushings, but I plan on it "someday".) That should tighten it up quite a bit. Mine felt really solid after I did it. Just DO NOT over torque that nut or else you'll have serious problems going into 1,2,5 and R cause you will restrict the shifters movement. Get it snug but don't tighten the s--- out of it.

For the falling problem: Somewhere on here a gentalmen is selling a small bracket that screws to your car and covers the shift hole from the bottom. Your shifter basically rests on that tab and stays put. Looks like a good design. I on the otherhand am a cheap a-- bastard, so I took small zip ties, linked enough together to go around the shifter. The nubs of the zip ties keep the lip of that part just above the floor and in a great position. Just make sure you get those zip ties really tight or else they will slip off and let your shifter drop again.....
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”